Trusted Contributor

C'MON QVC AND VENDORS...HANDBAG PRICING !!!!!!

Okay, I know I'm not alone here.

But what the hay are these vendor's and QVC trying to do with these high prices on handbags today ????  W hen will it stop????

It's awful... my "wants' are killing me beause I love so many of them, nice designs, etc. but good grief ! Woman Frustrated  I need money for old-age retirement, bills, children, grandchildren and future endeavors !!!

Also, I'm a gal who likes to switch my bags with what I wear, and not carry just one "good" one for a year or so.

So how do they think I should afford a variety of bags?

Obviously, it's not me they are depending on to keep them in business, but the women who will procure them, at any price.

Sometimes I get a little guilt over what I could do with that money for others. i.e.,  charities, tithing increases, etc., helping the needy, etc.

(I guess this is the way our Creator keeps me straight.)  I just will NOT 

pay those prices, even if I was married to a billionaire. It's the darn principle of the thing, right ??

Same for shoes, and other accessories.

Thanks, now I feel better. (just saw a "to die for" bag on QVC, had to make myself cut off the TV. Phew.... it almost got me!  Woman Sad   Woman FrustratedGrrr !!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: C'MON QVC AND VENDORS...HANDBAG PRICING !!!!!!

The price of good leather hand bags is steep indeed, I just bought a Kooba hand bag from Evine. I love D&B, but I won't 400 dollars on a hand bag.

Respected Contributor

well said, redhead!

i have never owned one of those expensive bags, although i have been known to drool over one or two now and then.

like you, it's not that i couldn't go ahead and buy one if i REALLY wanted to ... but i am already in my retirement, and i watch my pennies very carefully.  it would be a foolish purchase, and i guess i am far too sensible.  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

there are many other places to get the same bags or similar.  A dept store I frequent has bags on sale now some are marked down and there are coupons to  use.  A discount chain has some of these bags available too,  Outlet malls are there to visit.

I have many bags, only paid full price for 2 of them, everything else on sale.  Never pay full price ever

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's going to stop because I think there are plenty of women who willingly pay high prices for bags they love.  I know I love to walk through Nordstrom and Bloomies and Saks to check out their bags - the leathers are beautiful, the colors are often unique, and the styling works, too.  And the cost?  More than I spend in a decade on handbags!

So, I'm not likely to buy unless something hits a sale table at an unusual price, but I do look just to look and I almost never do that at the discount stores or even Macys or other mid-price department stores where I look pretty much only when I really want/need to buy.

I've actually been just a looker for a couple of years now, but I'm on the hunt for a black bag and when I find what I think I'm willing to carry for a few years, I will pay a good price for that if I have to.  But -- that bag might be my only handbag purchase over a 5+year time span, so I'm perfectly okay with a sort of outrageous price. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Handbag prices, like prices for most nicer things, are off the charts. It is what it is. The difference, of course, is that unlike QVC, which rarely offers a true sale price or discount, the likes of Norides, Macy's and so on DO very much occasionally offer REAL sale pricing and one can actually find a several hundred dollar bag for much less.  Then too, there are the discount stores like TJ Maxx, who offer a a nice array of handbags for less and even offer layaway. Pretty much, and with only the occasional exception, the only bags I'm ordering from QVC these days are 'as-is' or clearance, and even those prices really aren't great by comparison to other options.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The price of good leather as well as jewelry quality hardware is really expensive. Couple that with the artisans who actully make the bag plus the time involved/profit and the price really jumps.  A lot of the expense is also in the name recognition.  You can get an incredibly beautiful leather handbag from unknown Italian designers.  Something really worth checking out.....

I think the expense involved is one of the reasons Tignanello went with leather/vinyl mix bags, which have become more 50/50 rather than only the trim being vinyl.....

I have recently been super impressed with Oryany .... even though I don't tend towards slouchy bags.  I got one of their backpacks and can't believe the leather/hardware and how convenient it is to carry! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

This isn't a QVC thing. If you want more affordable bags, go check out TJ Maxx or Marshall's. I've found some really great bags at both of those places for less. It pays to visit several different locations, as some have better selections than others.

Respected Contributor

When I see all these high price handbags I think of that j Geils song "First I look at the purse". The words say it all. lol

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Handbag prices, like prices for most nicer things, are off the charts. It is what it is. The difference, of course, is that unlike QVC, which rarely offers a true sale price or discount, the likes of Norides, Macy's and so on DO very much occasionally offer REAL sale pricing and one can actually find a several hundred dollar bag for much less.  Then too, there are the discount stores like TJ Maxx, who offer a a nice array of handbags for less and even offer layaway. Pretty much, and with only the occasional exception, the only bags I'm ordering from QVC these days are 'as-is' or clearance, and even those prices really aren't great by comparison to other options.

Stevieb:

I don't get out much to shop in B&M stores so thanks ! 

Is the selection pretty decent at TJ Maxx., etc., or is it limited ?

Even reduced prices might not be reduced for me. I'll take a look when I can. Thanks ! Woman Happy