Valued Contributor

Are there ever any affordable handbags on anymore?

[ Edited ]

Dooney and Burke is too high priced for me. I used to buy handbags off QVC and the competitor's channel. I still have my Etienne Aigner bag from many years ago. There used to be another company sold around the same time, can't recall the name. When did buying a handbag become so costly? Am I missing shows to more affordable brands?

Respected Contributor

Re: Are there ever any affordable handbags on anymore?

Check out Evine.  I get mine from Amazon or Overstock.

Respected Contributor

I've bought many, many bags from Haute Look. They even have D&B from time to time. 

Honored Contributor

There are many places to shop other than QVC.  Sometimes people actually go into stores.  I often find the so-called "designer" handbags the Q sells, other places online at significant savings.  I recently got an Aimee Kestenberg bag on sale at her own website, and it may just be my favorite bag.  Sign up to be notified of sales.  I find some beautiful bags, Italian leather or man-made at Zulily.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't seen one handbag that's is worth what they ask.  Even at Target I look and think, they want 40 dollars for this purse thaT isn't worth 18.99!

and, I am a  collector.  I must have over 200 bags now, mainly antique and vintage.  I also love Tory Burch, Kate spade and Rebecca minkoff among others.  Handbags are expensive.  Come on really, when did we even imagine we would pay, 100 to 800 for a bag.  I have coveted a McQueen bag for a few years.  Good grief it is 2500,  lol, I still visit his bags online now and then.  Sigh.😳

I think in the late 90's designer handbags took the front seat.  It was all about name, logo and trend.  Slowly the prices have crept up so 200 seems like a sale.  I compare it to sin. At first it seems forbidden, then it is just a one time thing, feeling shameful for having spent that's much.  Then there is another temptation, and somehow it gets easier and easier....with less shame. 😳😬

i do do have a suf

ggestion for those who do want a high quality bag, less the cost.  Look in the antique shops.  Vintage and older bags are so high quality, and fun.  That's where I got all my vintage bags.  I get compliments and all the time when I wear them.  Styles from the 60's 70's and 80's are in trend.  In thrift shops and antique stores I find a great bag for 30 40 dollars.  The one thing about those bags, is that's most go up in price.  Great investment. 

Esteemed Contributor

I recently changed over to the lighter fabric bags...but before then i did by Tignanello bags from QVC and Macys for many years.....i thought the prices were reasonable and the bags stood up for a long time...and usually great organization....

Valued Contributor

i bought dooney from the q before and they do last. vera badley has some nice bags also under 100. you can go to resale shops or garage sales. 

Honored Contributor

I no longer buy specifically designer named handbags any more.  Haven't for a good while.  The prices are just ridiculous.  I like variety and I think nice bags can be had for a lot less.  I frequent places like Marshalls and T.J. Maxx.  I often find really great bags on clearance at these places.  You have to check frequently though or you will miss out!  There is also a department store in our local mall that often has very good clearance prices on bags.  

I don't go by name any more.  I am more about the construction.  I like a very light bag and there are certain requirements it has to have, such as a small pocket or compartment on the outside for keys.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I have been having issues with my neck & shoulders so I am only carrying lightweight fabric bags at present. I refuse to pay Vera Bradley prices so I buy Bella Taylor for much less $$ and equal quality of construction.

I believe it probably costs QVC a lot of money to present items on air and so , to justify the on air time they have to present expensive bags that have a higher profit to them. I enjoy purses a lot and really enjoy shopping for them, but prefer going in person on the search. I like to hold them and feel the quality of the material they are made from and look at the organization of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

QVC isn't my go-to place for bags. They simply charge too much to ship them and they almost always want full retail. Even sale and as-is bags usually seem to represent deals that are rather marginal. As was noted above, TJ Maxx and Marshall's often have a variety of bags at a range of prices. Of course, some stores offer more options than others and it depends on the stock available, which varies day to day. Likewise, while the website variety varies and while they tend to feature a number of higher end bags, you can now shop TJ Maxx on-line and shipping is usually free when purchasing over fifty dollars worth of merchandise.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...