Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aimee Kestenberg

[ Edited ]

I like some of Aimee's designs and I like the way she designed the inside cell phone pockets. I don't like that she makes her bags with magnetic snap closures and the quality of her metal zippers is average.

Sueded leather printed to look like snakeskin isn't hard wearing either as the dye on some is on the surface and not all the way through.

I believe that her bags, G.I.L.I., and Isaac Mizrahi bags are made by Li & Fung's Global Brands Group as there is a similarity in their quality, linings, and findings.

Honored Contributor

Aimee is a big success globally, winning design competitions abroad and in the US.  But I have to agree, I just haven't seen anything yet that I like.  She studied industrial design in her home of Australia; I can definitely see that esthetic in her handbags, which have a lot going on with them. 

Contributor

I consider myself a bit of a handbag snob and I have to disagree with a lot of you out there. i  have one of aimee satchel bags the "soho" It is one of the best designed bags I own and I have dooney and bourke, oryany, coach, mk, etc. In fact I liked this bag so much I ordered another one. Yes some of her leather treatments are a bit much but her leather is quality and the hardware is beautiful AND  I love her camo!!! come on ladies give her a break.

Respected Contributor

Agree. Ditto with Brahmin. I like leather that looks like leather-- like a favorite saddle or pair of good boots. Not into faux reptile, metallic leather, etc. I know that is just my taste, so I am not saying that the faux treatments are inherently bad. They just aren't for me. 

Valued Contributor

I don't know what they are thinking, making bags with camouflage, not smart decisions. 

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

Agree. Ditto with Brahmin. I like leather that looks like leather-- like a favorite saddle or pair of good boots. Not into faux reptile, metallic leather, etc. I know that is just my taste, so I am not saying that the faux treatments are inherently bad. They just aren't for me. 

I guess that's what I don't always like about Brahmin -- virtually everything has that faux croco texture. I do think that many of the bags are very pretty, but they have a heavy, stiff look to me.

Honored Contributor

OP: Yes. 

Valued Contributor

I like some of Braham bags, but they are very stiff, I have 2 bags.  I have 2 of Amy's bags also, and Coach, Tenanillo, B Mac, and a lot of others.  I think I have tried just about all the medium priced bags, and I have come to the conclusion that Dooney bags are the best quality for the price. I'm going to stick to Dooney, and give away all the rest.   

Occasional Contributor

Considering how successful she is, clearly women who are buying bags dont agree with you. I also think you probably have too much time on your hands to write a negative post about someone just trying to make it.

You need to get a hobby. Or better yet, build your own handbag line!

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I like some of her leather treatments, like the silver foil over black and her pewter leather. But her line has way too many snake/exotic treatments and it limits other color choices.

I'm also not particularly impressed with the quality of her leather. I've had cloth bags that have better structure than her leather ones. And don't get me started on the organization. Too many of her pockets ( inside and out) are just so tiny as to have no practical use. I like a stylish bag but it has to be usable also. 

I agree @jaxs mom for bags at mid-range prices and above, it isn't a matter of form OR function, for me, a successful design has to offer both... That said, with most of her bags, I'm rarely 'wowed' by either.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...