Regular Contributor

what is "whiskey barrel " size?

Hi gardeners!

I'm giving it a go this year with planting! I'm watching the shows and takin' notes Smiley Happy

I am wondering, though, when Phillip from Cottage Farms refers to "whiskey barrel" size pots, what size would that be?

Also, is that the size pot that i should put the plant in immediately?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: what is "whiskey barrel " size?

[ Edited ]

@Merciful OneI just googled and saw small and large "planters" that had 18" and 22" diameters, respectively.

They're called "planters" but have that whiskey barrel look.

About the planting...I don't know what plant you're asking about.  I imagine you'd need to consider the spread of the plant and how many might fit at maturity.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I used to have a real half whiskey barrel planter.   It was huge,  much wider than 22".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Merciful One  I have two whiskey half barrels. They are 28" across and 19" high. I got my second one last year at Lowes.

Cute Butterfly Graphic

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@Merciful One  Our master gardener in our area always suggests planting in 1" larger and then gradually plant in another 1" larger. I'm not sure about Phillips plants. I think the logic behind our gardener's advice is that you want the foliage to grow and if you plant too big too fast, all of the growth will go into the roots.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I used to have a real half whiskey barrel planter.   It was huge,  much wider than 22".

@Kachina624    I WAS going to ask what happened to the whiskey......but,  never mind.............................(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624    I WAS going to ask what happened to the whiskey......but,  never mind.............................(!)

@Desertdi  Deny any knowledge of disposition of contents but it sure smelled good when I watered it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone!

Hopefully i can do this without killing everything in sight! He says it's "gardening made easy" we'll see!! lol