Respected Contributor

Re: buying plants for the q

[ Edited ]

I've had both good and bad experiences with purchasing from both Cottage Farms and Roberta's.  The good ones are the white and red hibiscus plants, which die down in winter and return to wonderful blooms in the spring/summer  A big disappointment were the "ever blooming" lilies. We wondered if they would "ever bloom".  They didn't. 

There were others, too.  Tomato plants have been a disaster.

No tomatoes. The Meyer Lemon tree didnt have lemons, just thorns, and then passed away. Better to buy plants that have been grown more or less locally, and are already adjusted to our very odd climate.

But they have some lovely things. And they always honor their replacement promises.  Good luck if you buy.

Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago I bought some flower bulbs from QVC.  Not all of them grew and the ones that did, grew very poorly.  I am sure I just threw them out.  Never again.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

If you see something here, try to get it locally or look for another online mailorder vendor. Look at this website for positive or negative reviews on the company you want to order from. 

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/#b

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@tockerman wrote:

i just want to say do not buy any plants form the q sorry but I do not think these company stand buy their products. after buying several and all of them dying. and checking the reviewis all seem bad. they need to get out of the gardening business. and all theose garden plants they show seem to good to be true? if you sell plants that look that good stand buy your products.  or if anyone has plants that look like they show on tv please let me come to your house and see for myself because I just do not beleive they will turn out that good.

@tockerman  Every plant QVC sells has a guarantee.  Did you call for a replacement or refund?  I don't order from Roberta's because I don't trust their exaggerated claims but I have several big nice Cottage Farm bushes.  The were tiny when I got them but they're now over 8' high. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@tockerman  I always buy my plants locally. In part, to support our county, but mostly because I love "the hunt". I find something gorgeous, take it home, plant it, and instant gratification. Nothing much excites me more than that. Heart

loveit.gif

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Occasional Contributor

There are numerous very good mail order plant businesses throughout the US -i use many of them -if you need plants that are unavailable to you locally - try one of them - not QVC,

Contributor

I both agree and disagree. I buy plants locally so I can see what I'm getting. That said, although some claims made on the Q are exaggerated, the plants I have gotten have come in nice condition, and they EVENTUALLY performed as described.  Years ago, I had some plants DOA, but I got a full refund. I the past 10 years, my QVC plants have arrived quite healthy, but it took a few years to get the desired results. That may be the fault of poor soil or my inexperience. In any case, I'm getting too old to wait years. I want instant gratification, so I like to select an already-blooming plant and take it home. Unless it's a rare specimen that can't be found here. Just saying. Just me. Still watch garden shows on the Q and buy garden products.

Honored Contributor

I have had pretty good luck with plants, especially Cottage Gardens.  The Vanilla and Strawberry hydrangea that Peter was selling yesterday for $39 sells at 

Wayside Gardens for $19, so the best plant deal is not always found here, but I have received some very good deals with perennials and roses.

Trusted Contributor

I bought some plants from Cottage Farms and Robertas when they first came on QVC, none have survived. None, and I am a gardener.

One thing I would like to point out...Robertas was selling the Passion Flower vines yesterday....they are EXTREMELY INVASIVE. I mean extremely. My ex-neighbor planted them about ten years ago, and they began to take over the entire fence on her side ..and proceeded to come in to my yard and grow up trees, cover my side of the fence, never mind start coming up in the lawn. We have tried everything with the exception of burning them to rid ourselves. They are attractive, but please take this into consideration if you buy them.

The other plant is the Datura, or the Angel Tree. It is poisonous to children and animals if eaten.

Honored Contributor

@horses1 wrote:

There are numerous very good mail order plant businesses throughout the US -i use many of them -if you need plants that are unavailable to you locally - try one of them - not QVC,

@horses1  I buy the majority of my plants online from many different companies.