Super Contributor

Anyone know the blooming time of the flower Pansy?

Trusted Contributor

I would think it depends on what part of the country you live in. 

Here in southern Arizona everything is blooming. First year I haven't planted pansies.

Respected Contributor

I live in the NC mountains.  My pansies have been blooming all winter, even through the snow.  They are self seeding and do die back in the summer.

Respected Contributor

It depends on where you live.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

We'll have pansies blooming in OH until the snow flies.  They may get covered with snow, and when it all melts away, their pretty little faces  will still have the blooms in tact.  We LOVE this!  In the spring they're pick up where they left off. 

These little beauties are amazing!

Respected Contributor

In Southern California pretty much all year, though in the heat of the summer they get pretty leggy and ugly..I think of them as a Fall, Winter Spring plant and usually do marigolds and petunias in summer.. But that said, I DO have petunias that have been blooming all winter, too!

Honored Contributor

OP, If yours aren't blooming, it may be lack of sun.  They like full winter sun but when it gets pretty warm (May where I live) they drop dead.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Pansies bloom in cooler weather and some tags say 'winter hardy'. Once the weather really heats up they either die or get leggy. I usually pull mine out in May.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

It does depend on where you live.  I'm in the Northeast.  Here you can get the hardiest types of pansies in about mid-March.  They won't die if there's an unexpected frost, but they would not survive the winter.  Other pansies can be put out a few weeks later, maybe in April.  They are a cool weather flower that stops blooming and looks very bad at the height of summer.  Don't throw them out.  Instead cut them back to a few inches, keep watering them, and set them aside during the summer.  When the cooler air comes back as summer winds down, your pansies will be in full bloom again.

Trusted Contributor

I put my pansies in about November, and they bloom all winter for me...they are still blooming now, and unfortunately, I will have to take them out soon because of the warmer weather here in South Carolina.