Respected Contributor

There's a wonderful state park about 20 minutes from where I live.  You can't imagine how excited I was to find that there actually are Wild Irises that bloom in the early Spring and only for a very short time!

They are very small, standing just a few inches above the ground and about two inches across.  I was told that even in the same small patch, they can bloom in various shades from purple to white.  They also tend to favor moderately moist conditions.

Although these are wild, they can be purchased as a dwarf iris, planted in bulbs just as the others. 

I hope you enjoy this picture!😃❤️

IMG_0328.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I have always liked Irises too.

I don't know that I've ever seen them growing wild though. Very delicate and a pretty lilac colorSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I have always liked Irises too.

I don't know that I've ever seen them growing wild though. Very delicate and a pretty lilac colorSmiley Happy

I love ❤️ irises.  We used to have a nature trail at my school I often took the kids on exploring for plants, but I never encountered any of these.  I couldn't believe they had them at the falls.  Later, I hope to write a piece about this park.  It's quite unique in its own right.😃

Esteemed Contributor

@cheriere 

So beautiful.

Iris always look like they are "candied" to me....their blossoms are so fragile and almost crystalline.

I've never seen an iris I didn't love.

These are so petite and pretty. 

Honored Contributor

Dwarf Crested Iris (Iris Cristata). 

I'm not a fan of the typical irises.  I dug up a whole bed of them that the previous owners had planted because they stopped blooming.  Apparently, the surrounding trees had grown and shaded them too much.  I gave a lot of them away, and the recipients have told me they bloom nicely for them, so it must've been the lack of sun.  My neighbor has a small patch of them that are really pretty though.

A friend from church gave me one of thee last year.  This is it's first year in my yard.

Crested Iris.jpg

Respected Contributor

@cheriere Another beautiful photo, thanksWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

They surely are a far cry from cultivated iris.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess 

How lucky!😃

Id really like to have some of these too.  I'm really glad I asked about them or I'd never have known there was a variety like this to plant.  I wish I could've spotted some of the white ones too.  Maybe next year.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

They surely are a far cry from cultivated iris.

I know right?  I'd never even knew these existed.  However, I've gotta admit, it was glorious to stumble upon in the middle of the woods.😃❤️

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@cheriere 

So beautiful.

Iris always look like they are "candied" to me....their blossoms are so fragile and almost crystalline.

I've never seen an iris I didn't love.

These are so petite and pretty. 

That's a very good analogy!😃❤️

They do look "candied". Perfect description!