Esteemed Contributor

The weeds have finally slowed down😛

How is everyone doing getting their gardens prepared for Fall/Winter?

The weeds have finally slowed down.  I am not watering so much anymore.  I have been steadily cutting back my gardens.  All that is left now are perennial flowers that still have some good bloom.  I will cut these down after our Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend.  Next week I will plant my bulbs.  I am sharing plants with new gardeners in the neighborhood as my shrubs mature.  I love Fall.  Our weather has been lovely so far.

For those with four seasons, how are you doing?  For those that live in the sunshine states, how does your gardening change?

I am looking forward to making a new quilt this winter and I have a long list of good books to read.  Life is good!  LM

Honored Contributor

Re: The weeds have finally slowed down😛

I live in the Pacific Northwest and have started fall clean-up.  All the pots of annuals have been emptied. Hauled the pots of perennials out from under the patio cover so they get the winter rain.    I need to prune some plants and divide some others.  Planted 100 bulbs yesterday.  Now it is raining and predicted to keep raining the next few days.

Honored Contributor

Arizona = 12 months of weeds

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi, I have a two acre property.  If I had 12 months of gardening, I would have fewer gardens I'm sure.  So much work.  Is there ever a slow time in your twelve months?  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne, I've done some pruning but should do more.  I have three pots of annuals to go.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Desertdi, I have a two acre property.  If I had 12 months of gardening, I would have fewer gardens I'm sure.  So much work.  Is there ever a slow time in your twelve months?  LM

@Lilysmom, I guess I should have qualified that I live in the desert climate of Southern Arizona.    Northern Arizona has "seasons"........

But down here, if you choose to have grass in your yard, you need to plant twice a year.    We occasionally have temps in the 30's which necessitates covering your tender plantings.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

It has been around 70 degrees here for over a week now, so I have postponed cleaning out the annual pots...I will probably do it next week. Just thought I would enjoy the flowers another week since it is warm...

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi, sometimes I think DH might like no grass.  He's very good to work around the trees and flower beds.  He's the tree person in this house, I'm the plant person😀!

Honored Contributor

Still slowly working on getting yard cleaned up for winter.  Worked yesterday on cutting back lilies, clematis and cleaning some flower beds.  Got the yard waste container almost full.  Was planning on doing some more this afternoon and it is raining!  I am a fair weather gardener!

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne, I cleaned out my veggie garden yesterday and planted bulbs.  I got the flu shot Friday and I usually have a bit of a reaction from it so I didn't work today.  They are calling for snow tomorrow ... Only 2 cms but Yikes!  Too early.

i have one more round of weeding I think and then there are the leaves.  Now those I could do without! LM