Honored Contributor

THANK GOODNESS, First hummingbird sighting of the summer!

[ Edited ]

I've had my feeders up for a little over a week, and had our first sighting today. 

Our Jersey weather has been so crazy I figure it threw them off. 

A little boy came to feed up just a few minutes ago. I was starting to be afraid I'd lost my touch!

Trusted Contributor

Re: THANK GOODNESS, First hummingbird sighting of the summer!

I live in southern CT and just put out my hummer feeders this past Mon.  Within an hour, my first hummer appeared - a tiny female who drank for a very long time!  Figure she must have just arrived and was very hungry!  Since then, I've had regular visitors, although mostly females - seems the males are slow to arrive!

Respected Contributor

I cleaned and filled my feeder yesterday - hoping to see the little birdies around - haven't seen them yet here in Indiana.  Getting cold here again this weekend, so I suspect won't see them for awhile.

Esteemed Contributor

I live here in NE Ohio and I have only seen one or two little ones so far.....

Esteemed Contributor

I saw 3 this evening. 

It's supposed to be in the 50s this weekend. I don't guess I'll be seeing many.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had two at my feeder in the Chicago burbs.  That was last week,seen none this week.  Please don't use that red stuff they sell,it's bad for them.  Make your own. 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. I belong to a group that knows Hummingbirds really well. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

For some reason, I've never even TRIED "red" syrup.

I make fresh, clear syrup from white Domino's Sugar and serve it in gaudy red feeders. 

That seems to do the trick. 

One year I happened to have a very long, wide, bright red velvet Christmas bow that I hung right by the feeders, and they loved it, but this year I couldn't find it. I always think they ultimately find out where the feeders are by "word of beak", so hopefully my current

participant will tell her friends.

Honored Contributor

Being away for 10 days, I just refilled the feeders and water tray. I think there are some birds that act as 'scouts' and tell the others -- 'the food giver is back!' Woman Happy

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I decided to sit by the window this evening to see if there is any activity yet. None so far but soon I hope!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

For some reason, I've never even TRIED "red" syrup.

I make fresh, clear syrup from white Domino's Sugar and serve it in gaudy red feeders. 

That seems to do the trick. 

One year I happened to have a very long, wide, bright red velvet Christmas bow that I hung right by the feeders, and they loved it, but this year I couldn't find it. I always think they ultimately find out where the feeders are by "word of beak", so hopefully my current

participant will tell her friends.

Every year I buy a bouquet of big red silk roses and attach it to my feeder,it brings them in.  But I think you're right,Violann,they follow each other and communicate.  Looove them.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth