Valued Contributor

Suggestions for keeping squirrels from eating our tomatoes

Looking for any suggestions to keep these furry little rascals from grabbing our tomatoes off the vine and nibbling on them. Our tomatoes are just starting to ripen, and we've lost several thanks to the little critters taking bites out of them--not just green ones but nice big almost ready to eat red ones. We would very much like to enjoy the tomatoes ourselves, but at this rate, may never get a chance to do so. Would so appreciate any advice to keep them away from our plants. Thanks1

Respected Contributor

Re: Suggestions for keeping squirrels from eating our tomatoes

@qualityshopper

This works really well for my petunias and geraniums.

I would suggest omitting the cayenne (powdered) pepper.

I just mix about 1/2-3/4 bottle of Burman's hot sauce (85 cents at Aldi's) + 3 or 4 drops of Dawn, place in a 1 gallon sprayer and use DAILY after rain and/or watering.

It will not hurt any other critters!  

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 12.20.01 AM.png

Esteemed Contributor

My hubby bought a large bobblehead owl (it's about 30 in high) at ******'s last year....he puts it in the garden and it seems to work.....LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I bought tomatoe gates - portable, fold down for winter storage and gives the vines support.  However, I just dumped my strawberry plants due to mice nibbling the ends of the berries.  I had netting around the plants to protect from birds....but didn't think of mice being a problem.  

Respected Contributor

They drive me nuts.  We have four beautiful tomato plants full of green tomatoes that are not yet ripe.  I tied aluminum pie plate on the cages with zip ties.  They don't like the shiny object or the noise it makes as it bangs against the cages.  Also, our cat chases them so hopefully we will have a good crop. 

Thanks for the info on the spray.  I may try it.

Trusted Contributor

Put up bird feeders with good mix of seeds/nuts and they'll focus on those.  We've got a band of 3 furry squirrels that make it their mission to swing from the feeders and pig out to their hearts' content!  I can't tell you how many times we've yelled at them to go away, but here they come again....  But they haven't touched our tomato plants!  Woman Tongue 

Respected Contributor

My father always grew some sunflowers around his vegetable garden.  The sunflowers were a lure for the birds and critters to keep them away from the tomatoes.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd suggest netting but the squirrels might gnaw holes in it. Harvest at almost peak ripeness and let the ripening process finish indoors.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Squirrels are attacking our ripe tomatos too! Of course, they also prefer the nice ripe ones! So far, they have gotten 2 of our nice big ripe ones and multiple cherry tomatos.

We have plenty of bird feeders that they raid in winter and neighbors also have feeders. But apparently they also love fresh veggies in summer.

Today I tried the spray recommended. We also got a fake falcon to put out there to scare away critters too. Hoping it may slow them down a bit so we can enjoy our own veggies.

Otherwise, what is the best way to ripen green tomatos if we pick them early?

Esteemed Contributor

I know this isn't a tomato story but I had to chime in.  We planted coneflowers and those little monsters just annihilated them.  They were tall and beautiful and they just jumped on them and ripped them apart. They weren't seeding.  I have bird feeders all over filled with seeds,squirrels still have to wreck my flowers.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth