Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@Lilysmom@mousiegirl  What is it with men?  DH doesn't know a weed from a flower when he goes to clean the beds but when people come by to view the gardens he suddenly becomes the expert.  LOL  My DH works hard to make our place look good but I do wish he'd learn the plants.  I just buy more plants, some for the bugs, rabbits, moles and some that get in DH 's way when he weeds.  :-)

@lucymo  DH was a maniac with the weed eater. lol. many times I flew outside to screech, "DO NOT cut down my plants.  He completely mowed down a long border of Violets once, and I still hold a grudge, lol.  I briefly had a weed/mower guy here decades ago, but found him pulling plants.  The last straw was when I pointed out the then Junipers and told him to prune them.  Shortly, I saw him pass my window on the way to the compost heap with Cedar tree branches, FIRED!  This is a guy who said he had been doing this work for ten years, but mowing is really all he knew.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl@lucymo, hilarious stories.  I know exactly what you mean!  We spent this afternoon peeling  back a garden border by about two feet as our plants have overtaken the last one.  About 80% done.  Had to go back over the ten foot strip that was dug too deep.  To repair that, I just turned the sod DH took out upside down and used it to build it back up.  Looks pretty good but who needed that.

I do know better.  I never let a repairman in the house unless I'm there.  I learned that one the hard way too🙄!  One guy sold DH four talking smoke detectors.  He told DH our house was not up to code.  Our house was five years old.  I made him take every one but one out.  I knew what a pain the talking detector would be and I was right.  I just roll my eyes when it goes off. Thank God it's in the basement lol.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl@lucymo, hilarious stories.  I know exactly what you mean!  We spent this afternoon peeling  back a garden border by about two feet as our plants have overtaken the last one.  About 80% done.  Had to go back over the ten foot strip that was dug too deep.  To repair that, I just turned the sod DH took out upside down and used it to build it back up.  Looks pretty good but who needed that.

I do know better.  I never let a repairman in the house unless I'm there.  I learned that one the hard way too🙄!  One guy sold DH four talking smoke detectors.  He told DH our house was not up to code.  Our house was five years old.  I made him take every one but one out.  I knew what a pain the talking detector would be and I was right.  I just roll my eyes when it goes off. Thank God it's in the basement lol.  LM

@Lilysmom    Your idea was brilliant to turn the sod over!  Re work people, too funny, lol.  It's a shame that we have to police every workperson, including DHs, in order to see that work is done properly, as if we women needed more work.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Lilysmom    Your idea was brilliant to turn the sod over!  Re work people, too funny, lol.  It's a shame that we have to police every workperson, including DHs, in order to see that work is done properly, as if we women needed more work.

Haha @mousiegirl, I know!!!  It is now well known that nobody cuts into a wall in my house when I am not there!  NO ONE!  And there is a story that goes along with that that I will not bore you with.  DH is a very smart man but when it comes to some things, I am better off left alone😩.  My brother is a contractor and I call him in when we get in over our heads!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

Haha @mousiegirl, I know!!!  It is now well known that nobody cuts into a wall in my house when I am not there!  NO ONE!  And there is a story that goes along with that that I will not bore you with.  DH is a very smart man but when it comes to some things, I am better off left alone😩.  My brother is a contractor and I call him in when we get in over our heads!  LM

@Lilysmom  I added some blooming perennials this morning to my thread. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Lilysmom@mousiegirl  What is it with men?  DH doesn't know a weed from a flower when he goes to clean the beds but when people come by to view the gardens he suddenly becomes the expert.  LOL  My DH works hard to make our place look good but I do wish he'd learn the plants.  I just buy more plants, some for the bugs, rabbits, moles and some that get in DH 's way when he weeds.  :-)

@lucymo  DH was a maniac with the weed eater. lol. many times I flew outside to screech, "DO NOT cut down my plants.  He completely mowed down a long border of Violets once, and I still hold a grudge, lol.  I briefly had a weed/mower guy here decades ago, but found him pulling plants.  The last straw was when I pointed out the then Junipers and told him to prune them.  Shortly, I saw him pass my window on the way to the compost heap with Cedar tree branches, FIRED!  This is a guy who said he had been doing this work for ten years, but mowing is really all he knew.

@lucymo, my father had a huge vegetable garden every year.  Before we were married, DH came home with me and volunteered to help my father weed.  After viewing a row of dead carrots, he was never allowed in the garden again.  I hated weeding that garden,  now why didn't I think of doing something like that??? 

The he weed wacker story is hilarious.  Loved that😂!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Lilysmom  I added some blooming perennials this morning to my thread. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl, over I go to have a look.  Our plants are just starting to break the surface.  Need a a bloom fix.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@lucymo, my father had a huge vegetable garden every year.  Before we were married, DH came home with me and volunteered to help my father weed.  After viewing a row of dead carrots, he was never allowed in the garden again.  I hated weeding that garden,  now why didn't I think of doing something like that??? 

The he weed wacker story is hilarious.  Loved that😂!  LM

@Lilysmom  The weedwhacker story was mine re DH, lol, I have maaaany stories. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, we could provide free entertainment with our tales!!!  LM