Occasional Contributor

Re: Sad... because hubby is getting rid of our pond.......

For the sound of water, try a re-circulating fountain.  Bury the reservior in the ground, cover with rocks against critters and mosquitos, and chose a large rock for the water to come up and over.  The birds love it and the sound is wonderful.  It can be placed in sun or shade.  Love, love mine.   We seldom have to put water in it.  It depends, of course, when it rained last.  Even the hummers come to it.   It might help you when you are missing your fish, to have the alternate.  Just be sure to place it where you can see it from inside.   Your local water garden place should have a selection.  Some of the regular garden places are carrying the supplies to set up one. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Sad... because hubby is getting rid of our pond.......

@Sooner wrote:

I have never wanted a water feature because of the upkeep and because we are about 1/2 mile from a river and I don't want to deal with the varmints the water would attract.  

Last night we had a skunk "visiting" in the back yard.  

Yoyu are so right about that. In Pa. we had a natural stream going through our backyard. It was a problem with critters there all the time - anyway at one point DH & some of our neighbors decided to divert the water and fill it in. What a difference in less destructive creatures in our yard. For the beasties - if they still wanted a drink the creek was still  available 2 doors up from our house and 3 doors down the street- however it went underground for the length of 4 yards, who were happy to see it go.