Valued Contributor

Re: Sabi Star Gemini Desert Rose

Well, I've had mine for a month now.....it's still alive is all I can say. No new growth in the size at all but it's hanging in there.

I see we can't even read the comments anymore since QVC took the whole Sabi Star Gemini Desert Rose webpage down. I still have the show on my DVR so I think I'll take a look at it and dream that my plant will get that way eventually.

Valued Contributor

I actually have 2 buds but one fell off and the other is just there......I wonder if it will bloom or fall off as well.  

Luckily we have warm weather which is why I think mine is hanging in there.

Valued Contributor

I didn't order the Sabi Star, but I do have a general comment about buying plants online -- which I do fairly often when I want something that's more than run-of-the-mill.  About six weeks ago I ordered two Regal Red ferns and a Loving Hearts Dicentra (everblooming white bleeding heart) from a well-known plant catalog.  The ferns arrived with several fronds broken which can happen in shipping.  I cut back both ferns completely, kept them in the nursery pots for the time being, and they're now growing very nicely and uniformly.  I'll plant them in ground when they get bigger and stronger.

The dicentra was bareroot and dormant as advertised.  It was so dormant, in fact, that it looked dead.  Instead of planting in ground immediately (I was sure I'd never find it again), I planted it in a small pot, placed it on the patio table under the umbrella, and watered it lightly when the soil was dry.  I did this for the longest time, and nothing happened.  I thought I'd try one more thing and gave it a light solution of blossom booster food that I had ordered from QVC a couple of years ago.  Last week, I saw a teeny, tiny stem starting to emerge.

l also planted a Lady Elizabeth everblooming day lily I ordered from a different vendor.  The plant was potted rather than bare root, in excellent condition, and I put it in ground after a few days of acclimating it to its new location.  I was disappointed when I saw most of the leaves turning yellow, and the plant looked like it was dying.  I removed the yellow leaves and kept an eye on it for weeks.  It's finally sprouting flower buds and new foliage, so it looks like it will thrive.

Moral of the story -- when you order plants online, don't give up on them because they look dead or aren't performing.  The root systems may still be alive but need extra TLC or more time to develop.  I'm not saying you should give your Sabi Star plants any blossom booster -- I don't know what its cultivating requirements are.  What I am saying is that I'm glad I didn't throw away the dicentra or give up on the day lily.  They are all showing signs of life.  Have I ever had plant failures?  Sure, but I always gave them a chance before trashing them.  Gardening does not necessarily equal instant gratification.

Valued Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

I didn't order the Sabi Star, but I do have a general comment about buying plants online -- which I do fairly often when I want something that's more than run-of-the-mill.  About six weeks ago I ordered two Regal Red ferns and a Loving Hearts Dicentra (everblooming white bleeding heart) from a well-known plant catalog.  The ferns arrived with several fronds broken which can happen in shipping.  I cut back both ferns completely, kept them in the nursery pots for the time being, and they're now growing very nicely and uniformly.  I'll plant them in ground when they get bigger and stronger.

The dicentra was bareroot and dormant as advertised.  It was so dormant, in fact, that it looked dead.  Instead of planting in ground immediately (I was sure I'd never find it again), I planted it in a small pot, placed it on the patio table under the umbrella, and watered it lightly when the soil was dry.  I did this for the longest time, and nothing happened.  I thought I'd try one more thing and gave it a light solution of blossom booster food that I had ordered from QVC a couple of years ago.  Last week, I saw a teeny, tiny stem starting to emerge.

l also planted a Lady Elizabeth everblooming day lily I ordered from a different vendor.  The plant was potted rather than bare root, in excellent condition, and I put it in ground after a few days of acclimating it to its new location.  I was disappointed when I saw most of the leaves turning yellow, and the plant looked like it was dying.  I removed the yellow leaves and kept an eye on it for weeks.  It's finally sprouting flower buds and new foliage, so it looks like it will thrive.

Moral of the story -- when you order plants online, don't give up on them because they look dead or aren't performing.  The root systems may still be alive but need extra TLC or more time to develop.  I'm not saying you should give your Sabi Star plants any blossom booster -- I don't know what its cultivating requirements are.  What I am saying is that I'm glad I didn't throw away the dicentra or give up on the day lily.  They are all showing signs of life.  Have I ever had plant failures?  Sure, but I always gave them a chance before trashing them.  Gardening does not necessarily equal instant gratification.

Thanks.....I'm hanging in there with my Sabi plant even though there is little growth but it's still alive so happy with that.

We put some of our seedlings that we buy and find that they are not as strong as they should be and we plant them in a pot all together and most of them do survive. 

Contributor

Both of mine that I received about a month ago are growing nicely. The one that was 4" tall has grown 2 1/2 inches and has a lot of new growth starting to come out on it. The other one was a much larger plant when I received it and it is looking good too, but I have no signs of blooms on any of them. The one I bought last year and cut back in the spring is growing slowly but no blooms. Hope to see some blooms on all of them this year. The one from last year had a bloom in Feb. so it may be a while. The caudex is growing on all of them.
Respected Contributor

Mine arrived at about four inches tall but healthy looking. I bought a shallow clay pot and cactus potting mix as the instructions require. I live in a hot area of California and we have had days over 100 degrees. The Sabi is in part sun and part shade on my deck. It has put out new leaves, about six to eight, and is doing well. I really don't think I will get blooms until next summer.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My 2 month report is fairly good.  No buds; what was I thinking but some growth.  The leaves are green and lush looking and the caudex has grown a bit.

Mine seems to be growing like most of the reviews.....no flowers (which is normal) and its growing but slowly. I'm just glad it's still alive and doing well after a rough start.

We are lucky to be having warmer weather this summer which is why I think it's growing so well....much better than I thought it would after its start.

Hope everyone's Desert Rose is growing and doing well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for starting this thread, @Jayjay.  After reading here, I decided to try my hand at growing a Desert Rose here in Western New York.  Love a challenge dontchaknow.Woman LOL

I found someone online from FL that grows and sells them.  Mine started out at approxiately six inches, has grown a couple more over the last month, and looking healthy with the beginnings of another branch.  It lost a couple of leaves from shipment, but otherwise is doing great on my patio in less than optimal conditions as I'm somewhat shaded in the afternoon.  I plan to use a grow light once I move it inside for the winter.  My information regarding watering has been that they take much more water when outside and can be left to nearly dry out for the winterizing months.  The main consideration is that they be kept  well-drained.

Because in reading here I see that instructions were minimal for many, I thought I'd post the instructions the grower/seller gave me so that anyone interested could glean from them and see whether tweaks might be in order.

BTW, I nearly fell over when I saw that "2 gallon pot" for my seedling plant, but it's doing great! HTH'sWoman Happy

"I'll ship your seedlings out bare root without soil or a pot . 

I have really had luck with the miracle gro potting mix and do recommend it . I also recommend a larger - deep pot for the Adenium because they put on most of their growth in the first two years. 

REPOTTING TIPS & RECOMMENDATIONS:

* Use a deep 2 gallon pot to promote large caudrex growth . We know that Adenium put on their biggest growth spurt in the first 2 years of life .

* Absolutely NO broken pot pieces or rock at the bottom of the pot ! Use an old towel or t-shirt if you need to slow drainage . Broken crock & rocks will get wound up tight in your root system and the roots are what grow large and fat and become your fat caudrex .

* Use Miracle Gro Brand " Potting Mix" , I like this soil for Florida because it dries fast . You may need to amend your soil due to your weather wet / dry patterns . 

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Valued Contributor

@Gokat,  question.  Roberts recommends that you use a shallow, clay pot.

8 inches around and 4-5 inches deep. 

This is opposite of the deep pot your people recommend. 

Help, I've killed 3 already, but I'm really really wanting to have this plant.

Respected Contributor

Oh, how sad that you lost three, @Nadjalu !  Doesn't sound like Roberta's advice has been very sound.Woman Sad

I'm a rookie at this particular plant, but the woman I purchased from is a grower in FL.  She highly recommends Miracle Gro soil and the larger pot.  As I relate in my earlier post,  I nearly died when I first planted mine as it really dwarfs in the large pot, BUT even though I'm in the NE (Western NY) and mine sits on a shade-prone patio, the plant is growing gangbusters.  I've only had it since the 1st of July so I'm pleased.   It's up to almost 10" now with four branches and many new leaves.  I don't expect flowering for awhile though.  The one thing that she related that makes sense to me is that the caudex grows the most in the first two years so thus the need for more room in the pot. 

I suggest you give my method a try.  It's working out very well here.  I plan on using a plant light this winter indoors.  Wishing you the best of luck in your Desert Rose adventure.  Hopefully, we'll both be posting back when our pretty posies appear!Woman LOL

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?