Respected Contributor

Removing Autumn Leaves from the Lawn

[ Edited ]

I love trees, but am thankful we don't have to deal with leaves on the lawn anymore.  At our former home, and in our younger days, DH and I would bag up about 50 lawn bags of leaves every Autumn then carry them up a flight of stairs to get them to the curb.  Thank goodness that is over!  At any rate, I think this is an idea worth sharing:

This Clever Trick Will Instantly Clear Your Lawn of Unwanted Leaves

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Removing Autumn Leaves from the Lawn

That is clever.  I don't mind raking leaves on a nice sunny fall day.  The problem is here in the PNW I am usually raking wet leaves!  I only have three deciduous trees in my yard - the rest of the mess comes from pine trees.  

Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I love trees, but am thankful we don't have to deal with leaves on the lawn anymore.  At our former home, and in our younger days, DH and I would bag up about 50 lawn bags of leaves every Autumn then carry them up a flight of stairs to get them to the curb.  Thank goodness that is over!  At any rate, I think this is an idea worth sharing:

This Clever Trick Will Instantly Clear Your Lawn of Unwanted Leaves

Now a days they have leaf blowers just for this kind of application.  There are also lawn mowers that will mulch the leaves so finely they serve as a 'fertilizer' of sorts for the grass.

I still miss the gardens ... but I am glad I don't have to worry about snow removal, lawn mowing and weed whacking or the drive way being repaved and if the grass is going to dry out (we had 3 acres) ... oh Mercy - to h3ll with having a house !

Respected Contributor

Was a real chore back north, especially the large leaves from our big sugar maple tree. Later on DH got a mulching mower and he mulched them to provide organic matter for spring's grass.

Honored Contributor

I bet that trick would grow old if you had a big yard.  I used to live in a house with lots of big trees that dropped lots of leaves.  They all dropped leaves at different times, so it was like ground hog day every weekend.

When I put the lawn in in the current house, I only planted evergreens.  There are leaf dropping trees in the backyard, but they are in the woods and don't get raked.  I don't miss bagging leaves and taking them to the drop off center.

Trusted Contributor

Raking leaves is one of my least favorite chores.  I'd rather shovel snow than rake leaves.  We've had the trees removed from our yard because the yard is small and the trees were overwhelming.  My neighbors on each side still have theirs, so needless to say, we still have a leaves -- and branches falling.  My new grasscutters also do the leaves, so I don't have to worry anymore.  But the leaves in my neighborhood are a problem.  Most everybody is still raking, including my grasscutters, into January! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are sick of raking our neighbors leaves. I already raked some up & threw them over the fence. The neighbor was standing there looking at me. I told him he could get rid of his own $*%%. LOL!!! He's a total slob. I told him we are no longer getting rid of his garbage & it would all be tossed over the fence for him to get rid of. He's not happy but neither are we. DH tried to get him to top his trees & cut the overhang off our property but he does not want to do that so this is what he gets. 

Honored Contributor

When we lived in Pittsburgh we had 15 treeds in our yard - mostly maple, so the leaves were huge. My DH would let them all fall then when the trees were finally bare he would ride around with his lawn tractor on mulch mode and grind them up and they would go into the bags oin the tractor. Our yard backed onto the woods so he could empty the bags back there. The bags had to be emptied so often it would take him all day but when he was finished that was it for the year. We loved our nice shady yard and felt the leaf cleanup was worth it.I had the nasty job - cleaning up the dog run - leaves and poop.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

DH tried to get him to top his trees & cut the overhang off our property but he does not want to do that so this is what he gets. 

I think you're legally allowed to cut to limbs to the extent they hang over your property.  It might help the leaf situation a bit.

Honored Contributor

Very clever idea!  I think the best thing though is to have a mulching mower.  Returning all those shredded leaves to the lawn is excellent fertilizer.