Esteemed Contributor

Recommendation - Garden Tools

Hey!  I received the Radius trowel set M52194 yesterday.  This set was a special price on Q's garden day last week.  Both the transplanter and scooper are high quality, super sturdy pieces that I'll have the rest of my life!  All one piece of metal, nothing screwed on or soldered together.  I am sooo impressed with them (and my husband is so impressed with them), we went to the Radius website last night and ordered their Butterfly Nozzle/Sprinkler -- and will order more tools eventually. 

I saw these same Radius trowels at our state's garden show last week and they were $28 each at the show.  QVC's price on the pair is very good..... but all the garden tools are currently on sale on the Radius website right now if anyone is interested. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendation - Garden Tools

I like my Felco hand pruners and my True Temper and Corona gardening tools. You take care of your tools and they will last a long time. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Those do look very nice.  I like the brightly colored handles.  It's so easy to toss a tool while working and lose it!  I haven't used a trowel with a curved handle but I can see where it could lend torque and reduce fatigue.

I'm with you, @JustJazzmom,  Felcos are the best.  I have the #8.  I have an ancient through-the-belt leather holder that I cherish.  And the Felco foldable pruning saw!  The best.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia I have Felco #2 & #4. #4 was given to me by DH years ago and #2 came as part of our Extension Master Gardening class. I have even have a sharpening triangle stone from Felco. My foldable saw is from Corona.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the 2's were the gold standard until the straight handle beat up the fleshy part of my palm to no end.  I truly find the 8's to be more comfortable for extended use.

Is the 4 the little bit smaller one?  They're all fantastic!  The only ones I didn't love were the swivel-y ones.  Just could never quite get used to those.

Now, replacing the blades and the spring and getting it just right I have found to be a little challenging.  I sharpen mine on our rock wall, once in awhile give them a lubricant spray.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

The large nursery where I used to get my Felcos cleaned and sharpened has closed and will reopen in spring. Not sure if they will do this  anymore under new owners. I take my lopping pruner to local hardware store every other year to be sharpened. I should find out if they can take care of my Felcos.