Valued Contributor

Question on how to prune Meyer Lemon Trees?

I have four Meyer Lemon Trees, and two are especially wild. The only problem is, on the tips of lots of the branches, there are blossoms. They spent the summer outside, and I need to move them inside in the next week or so. It is still nice here in northeast Ohio, and the temps are 60-70 degrees.

Last winter, these trees suffered so much, because they were in my utility area of my home which is north facing with a small window. We have florescent lights over the plants, and that helps some, but the main problem is, that this area where they are, has 6 litter pans from our cats, and the leaves were always covered with cat litter dust. I dislike the idea of putting them back in there, I do have a sunroom with east and south windows, but the problem is, I am not sure if all four plants will fit in there. Two need to be pruned, for sure, but I don't know where to start. I googled pruning a meyer lemon last week and came up with a utube video, and the guy really did not know what he was talking about. He was hacking away at the tree and had the nerve to post it on utube. I need to really know how to do this, so that I don't ruin them!

I also need to stake the two larger ones (these are around 4' tall and 4' wide right now. Last spring I bought specially blended citrus soil and we re potted all of them, but citrus soil is light and friable, and the trees are leaning. If anyone can tell me what to use to stake them, I would appreciate it. The only thing I have are some green plastic tomato stakes that I could possibly cut. I am interested in knowing how to attach the stake-would I cut a pice of hose and then put the household twine through that, so that the bark is not damaged? Any help is appreciated!