Trusted Contributor

My husband is always very impressed with the great suggestions I get to some of my problems from this site.  He asked that I ask to see if you have any suggestions for a problem he has with new grass that he is planting.

We had 2 trees removed in the fall and had the stumps removed and new soil was placed in both of these large spots.  He put grass seed out in the fall and added some more seeds this spring.  The grass is staring to grow.....but our temperatures are going to be below freezing this weekend and he's worried about the new grass that has just started to grow.

He read some suggestions on-line (water the grass before the temperatures go below freezing, cover with a cloth tarp, etc.)

He wanted me to ask - has anyone else had a similar problem?  If yes, what did you do to prevent the new grass from dying from the cold and/or frost?

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Planting New Grass Question

I always  spead lime around my yard  between March/ April  before  spreading grass seed.  Most grasses flourish in alkaline soil .

Honored Contributor

We struggled with rain, no rain, cold etc for years under a big oak.  The tree was damaged by ice and we had to remove it, then clumps of shade grass popped up here and there but the tree had ruined the ground around it.

We gave up and had sod put in last fall.  It is coming out and looks good now, and it is guaranteed if it doesn't.  If you have an extension office from the State Ag School, talk to them.  

The whole thing simply had us beat!  And I wish you better luck!  We live in a hard climate and growing grass isn't easy--at least getting it started here!

Honored Contributor

In temperate climates, the best time to plant grass is in the Fall, when the soil is warm and rainfall is generally plentiful.  Planting in the Spring will be a challenge, freeze or not.

Esteemed Contributor

Google Google and read hints from Scott

Believe too early & cold for seed right now.  Articles say 75 degree air temp - ground around mid 50's.  Your pending snow = not good and probably will kill some seeds.  Read Scott about type of their seeds to use for new lawns.

Excellent info there...........

Esteemed Contributor

I actually think you will be just fine w/ a bit of a freeze..especially the grass you planted last fall.

I live in Seattle and we get frost thru April and our new grass ended up just fine. It's amazing how well grass will grow and spread once there's a bit more warmth in the air and ground.

Good luck. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

I planted grass seed in some bare spots last fall and now that it's warming up I see the grass growing.  Usually after I plant seed I water it good and then cover it with burlap or mulched grass to keep it warm.  Last year I even threw an old towel on top of it until you see it sprout.  It needs to be kept wet.  I plant Kentucky blue grass.  Other grasses are probably more hearty.