Frequent Contributor

Over wintered geraniums. When to repot?

I over wintered my geraniums by pulling them out of their pots, knocking off the soil on the roots and placed them upside down in a box with the cover down.  I misted them a few times during the winter.....so far just seeing barely any new growth.  I won't be setting them outside until mid May.  Question is, when do you think I should pot them up?  Greatly appreciate any help! BTW, I found this procedure online and thought I'd try it this year.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Over wintered geraniums. When to repot?

I would think you need to cut them back or they will be too leggy.  You can start 5 or 6 weeks ahead of planting time. Need sun and water. They can take more cold than other plants but if the soil is too cold the will not grow. You can stick the cuttings in potting soil if you want some of them will root. Also on the old roots if they are long trim them up a bit.

Esteemed Contributor

I keep my geraniums from year to year this way (upside down in a paper sack in the garage).  I always pot them in January.   I hope you're not too late.  Anyway, cut the stems down -- where you cut them you should see green.  Plant in potting soil, sit in window light, and water when dry.  Usually they start putting out new leaves within a week.   Good luck!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor

The advice offered by others is on point.    I repot in mid March (live in MA) so you are right on schedule.   I typically cut back the plants in the fall when I bring them inside,  it is important that they are cut back or they will be too leggy.    And do not put them outside when the soil is cold.   It is far better to keep them inside longer than to put them outside when the soil is cold.   That will shock the plant and it will take far longer for them to recover.  It you put them in warm soil, they will take off quickly.  BTW  I have been able to bring back plants that looked like they were close to death because of lack of water.  Geraniums are hardy plants and will recover and look beautiful with minimal care!  

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

I would think you need to cut them back or they will be too leggy.  You can start 5 or 6 weeks ahead of planting time. Need sun and water. They can take more cold than other plants but if the soil is too cold the will not grow. You can stick the cuttings in potting soil if you want some of them will root. Also on the old roots if they are long trim them up a bit.

@Nomorebirthdays  How are they upside down? 

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't realize you had to store them a certain way( upside down in paper bag). I was told to just bing them In in the fall , put in basement , in sunny window and keep moist .  Which I did , they are still alive , although there is so e brown that I figured I would cut away and then just put out in May and hoped they would rebloom.  They are in there original pots as they are container plants .  They weren't planted in ground.  Any tips for me at his point would be greatly appreciated.  

Trusted Contributor

I did not say upside down, we leave in the pots, we just cut the long branches shorter in spring. Water and sun, then they will get new growth. Cut to about 2 or 3 inches from main stem, just  leave a few leaf buds on each.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

I did not say upside down, we leave in the pots, we just cut the long branches shorter in spring. Water and sun, then they will get new growth. Cut to about 2 or 3 inches from main stem, just  leave a few leaf buds on each.

I did  cut them down late fall , am seeing new growth now.  Thanks for the info Cat Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Kitty Galore. Good I should have said ours sit in unheated garage in winter. Yours sound like they are good to go. Spring fever?  Me too.

Contributor

Sounds like fun! Will try this technique this year.