Honored Contributor

Southern West Virginia, where the females and babies are still at the feeder throughout the day, and eating voraciously.   The males have been gone more than 2 weeks.   

Trusted Contributor

West Michigan here. I thought ours were gone last week, but are still here as of yesterday. I just made new syrup yesterday, so any stragglers are all set.

Honored Contributor
Missouri here, still have hummers here, refilling the feeders regularly. As for butterflys, I don't have as many as in the past, but they love "Autumn Joy" Sedum that I have planted in several places, sometimes the entire plant is covered in butterflys.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Today, had a couple of hummingbirds!  will keep out the feeders until absolutely last lovely is gone.

Every time the wind blows leaves fall off the maple.  I'm so sad!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our hummers are gone...

[ Edited ]

@Snicks1, re the butterflies, I am seeing a lot of caterpillars now here in Nova Scotia.  Late for that.  It has been a very strange year.  We have had the least rain in 100 years.  Don't like that at all.  Hoping it is not a sign of things to come.  LM 

Honored Contributor

My husband and I took turns watching the hummingbird feeder over the weekend, and didn't see any activity at all.   We don't remember our hummers ever leaving before the end of September.   

Honored Contributor

my hummers are still around .  Have 3 that stay all year so I am filling up the feeder a couple times a week.

Respected Contributor

I am 40 mi w of Minneapolis. Today I replaced 2 of my 3 Hummingbird feeders with seed feeders and saw my first dark-eyed Junco, or Snowbird, eeek!

Will leave the one sugar feeder up for the last bird that I usually see at some point today if I'm lucky! One year I saw a straggler and it broke my heart that I hadn't left at least one feeder up to the end!

There's another summer put to bed!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

the last day for my hummingbirds was Sept 22.  the weather had been very hot and muggy and for several days i heard a pair of  them chatter all morning and zip around the back yard by the Cleomes.  then on the 22nd one flew and hovered right in front of me. the next night a cold front came through and they were gone.

i just took my 2nd feeder down.  early Sept i had to move the main feeder by the window because of a sudden swarm of honey bees. they drove the hummers away.  i then set up two feeders i have in rotation across the lawn on a double shepherds hook. they seemed to like them there but i can only hear them.   they  always seem to leave us by the 3rd week in Sept. 

i miss them! hope they all have a safe journey south!!

Honored Contributor
I haven't seen any hummers for about a week, but I haven't been around home as much as usual, so I will keep an eye out over this weekend. If I don't see any then I will take down the feeders, clean them up one more time and put them away. They are usually gone by around this time, but want to be sure before I remove the feeders for them.
"To each their own, in all things".