Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

No activity for several days now.  I think they left around September 4th.  We filled the feeders one last time.  They have gone early the last two years (Sept 7 last year).  They usually leave mid September.  LM

PS, almost no butterfly activity this year which is very unusual.

@Lilysmom  I saw some butterflys in the Spring, but with the tons of butterfly plants I have around, I hardly ever see them, so I am perplexed.  I will have to research this.

Hummers are flitting around me when I water.  I just realized it may be the red ladybugs on my green garden shift that are attracting them. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, if you find out anything about the butterflies, please post.  I have seen so few this year.  I usually have lots.  LM

Respected Contributor

I was afraid my hummers were gone but just saw one at the feeder this morning!

Esteemed Contributor

Hummers are so adorable, it's sad when they begin their travels and leave our gardens. We are fortunate here in the PNW that a species called "Anna" stays year around. We keep feeders out throughout the year and depending on the weather, bring them in at night because the nectar freezes. It's worth the extra steps to ensure the little darlings are well fed.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I'm seeing lots of Hummingbird activity here a little west of Chicago.  Don't take those feeders down until you really know they've gone.  I always have straglers flying through.  My little goldfinches are very few and far between now.  Sad. I saw no Monarchs this summer and just a very few swallowtails. Tragic. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Valued Contributor

SW GA  near  Tallahassee FL  Hummer Report:  

Active Male and Female  hummers still here! 

I usually put the feeders away early December  and put them out early March.  

They usually leave the middle of October but I have seen hummers in November. 

CAT

Respected Contributor

Re: Our hummers are gone...

[ Edited ]

I am 40 m west of Minneapolis. My feeders are looking like aircraft carriers with so many hummers coming and going during migration. They will all be gone by Oct 4th here.

Already took down my oriole/catbird grape jelly, they left 2 weeks ago.

My seed feeders are all set to go up when the hummingbird feeders come down.

Have to say I had lots of butterflies, Lady Admirals, Yellow and Black Swallowtails, White Cabbage and Monarchs! Hummingbird Moths too! Been a very active summer in my yard/

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@Jacie, thanks for the report.  We are starting to see Monarchs here now.  Very late compared to other years and not nearly as plentiful.  It has been extremely dry here.  Many people are having problems with their wells and are praying for rain.  I feel badly for the farmers.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Central West Michigan here (45 minutes from Lake Michigan). Last years last sighting for me was September 16. Saw 2 yesterday--none so far today & I'm still outside reading so I can keep an eye on the feeder. Robins have been gone for about a month, despite our nasty hot August; tons of Goldfinches; orioe feeder (grape jelly) was removed about 2 weeks ago due to yellow jackets. I do hate seeing the hummers gone, but I'm leaving my feeder out for stragglers.

Valued Contributor

Hummer Report  9/16  

I am still seeing Hummer activitiy!  I just cleaned/refilled three feeders and  hummers are already visiting and feeding.  They usually leave around the middle of October and arrive around the middle of March. 

CAT 

(SW GA near Tallahassee,FL)