Esteemed Contributor

No activity for several days now.  I think they left around September 4th.  We filled the feeders one last time.  They have gone early the last two years (Sept 7 last year).  They usually leave mid September.  LM

PS, almost no butterfly activity this year which is very unusual.

Honored Contributor

They probably read the Farmers Almanac that says the East Coast is going to have a brutal winter and skedaddled back to South America.  You may wish you went with them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I think you're correct - last few weeks lots of activity in NY - fighting between them; but now feeder looks rather lonely.  I'll leave it up a while longer for any stray hummers but once the days get shorter - they start their move. Butterflies are never abundant here during the summer.  I saw only one or two.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

They probably read the Farmers Almanac that says the East Coast is going to have a brutal winter and skedaddled back to South America.  You may wish you went with them.

As a native Rhode Islander, guess I should skedaddle with them!!

Honored Contributor

The last of our hummies don't normally leave until about October 15, but in the last week of so I've noticed less feeder activity.  Normally this time of summer until about the end of this month I'm filling feeders daily.  The last few days I haven't had to, so I know even some of ours have already left.  Which is surprising because it hasn't cooled off here at all yet.  The first few normally don't leave until the first cold snap.

Honored Contributor

Our hummers are still here in our yard happy to say.  DH thought they left too as he remarked about this a week or so ago.  They LOVE the shrimp plant tree formation that he brought home early spring and the plant has done great for us this year too.  They flit to the 3 or 4 hibiscus we have still blooming too.  Then they go to the tons of little cup-like blossoms on our clematis called 'my angel' - the bees love this one too.

A couple of weeks ago in the 'home & garden' section in our local Sunday paper wrote about hummers.  Said the males leave for sunnier warmer climates first and leave the females & babies behind.  Maybe the males prepare the summer homes for their mates & kids before they arrive.

I've noticed an influx of moths around lately.  We haven't had a lot of butterflies for the last few years sad to say. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hummers are still here (35 miles sw of Chicago) 

The robins have been gone for a few weeks, I think. 

We did not have many butterfiles this year.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624, 🤔😩 I am thinking the same thing!  LM

Honored Contributor

I also check out the almanac to get a feel for our winters too.  They say in my neck of the woods the winter should be milder in temps & precip.  If it's anything like last year, our's shouldn't be bad at all.  We did have some snow but not too terribly much, manageable.  Not complaining.

@Mary Bailey  I'm happy to say that our robins never leave our area through the winter. 

Trusted Contributor

Southern Connecticut here.  My hummers are still around, but they seem to be thinning out a bit.  So the move is beginning.   I do think the males have left since I haven't seen any for a week or so.  But I have one female that has been especially brave and curious all summer and she is still around.  (at least, I think it's the same one - they all look alike!!!)  She will come right up to me as I sit on the porch reading - almost as if to say "hello".