Trusted Contributor

We've had really high winds here recently.  While my husband & I were out back with our dogs we noticed our large evergreen is now leaning.  The tree seems healthy, all the branches are green.  I really, really DO NOT want to lose this tree.  I was wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen and if so, what did you do?  I was thinking of calling up a professional tree company to see if it might be able to be braced or something like that.  Of course, I worry that whoever we call will sense my desperation to save the tree and start piling on the charges (paranoid, I know, but we've been burned, even recently).  I'm planning on calling a neighbor's brother on Monday to see if he'll come out and take a look.  He's a professional landscaper and might be able to offer some guidance.  Any input if you've had this happen would be appreciated.  Thanks, all!

Honored Contributor

Pines are very shallow-rooted.  When one starts to lean, I think the usual recommendation is to take it down.  Can't put the genie back in the bottle, if you know what I mean.  If it doesn't eventually fall on its own, it will likely be blown over.  I don't know if they can be anchored to the ground, or if the cost of doing so would be worth it.  Will be interested in what others say.

Trusted Contributor

How big is it and which way is it leaning?  If it were to fall would it hit your house are questions you need to ask.  Here (Utah)  we have a lot of tree get blown over and they are pines. Their root system as a rule are shallow. 

Trusted Contributor

Same thing happened to me back in October.  Had some very strong winds come through and my very healthy evergreen leaned to the left about 15 degrees.  There was nothing they could do to correct it.  Like the other poster said, the roots are shallow and parts of the roots were torn.  If they were able to somehow make it vertical again, it would not be stable in any storm and would become a hazard.  So I had to have them take it down.

Honored Contributor

Get the opinion from an arborist. 

For those getting tomorrow's snow, go outside during the storm, if you can and knock the snow off of Leyland Cypress, arborvitae and other evergreens prone to branches breaking w heavy snow.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I went out to feed the birds one morning and my beloved jujube was leaning on my pistache.  Contacted the professionals and they braced the tree. 

Went out to feed the birds on another morning and the jujube was leaning again.  Had to face facts: As healthy and beautiful as it appeared, the tree had never established a healthy root system.  The roots just couldn't support the weight of that tree.

Made me ill, but it had to be removed.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~