Super Contributor

Re: My pet peeve re: plant offerings on QVC...

I like different colors instead of one, but don't buy on tv.

Super Contributor

On 3/9/2014 Lovs2shop said:

I buy from local growers, and what fun that is!

ITA about supporting local growers. They grow plants that are just right for your area and usually you can get as many in whatever color(s) you want. Plus I too have seen the reviews of gardening products from QVC and I see very little that's positive.

Why waste your money on plants that don't grow and have sky-high shipping charges????

The one thing I will buy mail-order, every once in a while, is bulbs. They hold up to the bumping they get from being shipped. I've compared prices and they're fairly competitive.

The one bulb I love and can't find for sale in my area is a lily-family flower, Crown Imperial. It's about $10 per bulb but I don't care; they're so spectacular. I buy one or two every season and gradually increase my number of flowers. Also, even with all the care you can give them, they don't always live through winter. We had an especially cold winter this year and it looks like half my Crown Imperials are goners. So it's back to the catalogues for me.

Happy spring and happy growing everyone! Kiss

Honored Contributor

I agree with you terrier3. A mass of the same color in the garden is impressive and nice-looking. QVC could give us an option: all the same or a mixed bag.

Super Contributor

On 3/8/2014 PinkSugar said:

I bought from CF twice. Once was bulbs which arrived mushy. I could never reach CS service for CF. Two years ago I ordered Astilbe which Phillip guaranteed would grow here. They would start to grow & turn brown overnight. I asked him for advice on FB & said I needed to get a replacement or refund. Cottage Farms was a butt about it, but Phillip took care of it. He rocks! I haven't ordered since.

As for the original post I prefer multiple colors so I think they should offer a choice. I only buy locally now so can choose.

Thank you for this--I was looking at CF today and I think I'll stick close to home--my local nursery guarantees plants also and it's a lot easier returning them.

Frequent Contributor

I just cancelled my order for 3 peony plants....pink, orange, red colors. After reading your post, I decided that you're correct. The same color would look so much better than 3 different ones. Plus, I don't want the hassle of trying to get replacements if they fail to grow in my garden. There are many local garden centers around & I will give them my business.

Respected Contributor

On 3/9/2014 Perkup said:

Ordered Hibiscus and Dwarf Everblooming Day Lilies last year. The Hibiscus was wonderful - grew tall, had gorgeous blooms, and we were very pleased. But they froze out during the winter. The Everblooming Day Lilies were well named - they didn't Ever Bloom. No response to my complaint about them.

I have a serious complaint about the Sunpatiens I have ordered in the past. They came back the first year, having been through a fairly warm winter. But this winter we had three nights (not consecutive) when it was in the very low 20's. Most of our perennials have already begun to spout and/or grow. Even the Easter lilies are up. I checked the sunpatiens yesterday and even the roots have deteriorated from the freeze. They say these plants will survive very harsh winters and come back. Mine won't! There's nothing to come back.

Same with the Hibiscus. No chance of them returning. However, three other Hibiscus which I bought from a local nursery are sprouting and looking good.

On a more positives note, though, I do like the Cottage Farms little fertilizer packets. They work well for me.

You were very lucky to have them come back as Sun Patiens are annuals, not perennials. So look on the bright side - you got 2 years worth of sunpatiens for the price of 1!