Esteemed Contributor

My daffodils are coming up....

It has been so warm here in NE Ohio the last week or so that my daffodils are coming up. This weekend we will be back to normal winter temps....but I am worried that they will all be dead when it is time for them to REALLY start coming up.....

Are they a lost cause this year?

Honored Contributor

Re: My daffodils are coming up....

OH!  MY!!!  In WNC we usually have snow showers off and on usually through mid March!  I can't Imagine.  

The apple growers are concerned.  We used to have a Gerber plant here.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma I'm pretty sure your daf's will be fine. Mine are coming up, too. It seems they come up early every year, but are okay come the "real" spring.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pattypeep Is correct, leaves can emerge and stop or decrease emerging due to the temperature. The big loss will occur if the buds are visible and about to open before a deep freeze. Then the buds burn and it's a loss then.

Mother Nature knows what it's doing. Bulbs planted near houses or fences where radiant heat can cause premature emerging & might bloom earlier than bulbs planted away from warm sources. 

If you notice, bulbs planted in southern exposures emerge sooner than bulbs planted on other exposures. This is due to the sun warming the soil. You also notice snow melts faster on southern exposures vs. northern exposures. It's the same principle.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Here in coastal Md mine are also coming up. They are really early this year because it's been pretty warm the past week. Funny thing is we had about a foot of snow two weeks ago, but it warmed up after that! Now it's going to get real cold again this weekend. But as in the past, they have sometimes poked up late February and would get snowed on and they were just fine. Hardy little buggers!

Honored Contributor

I'm waiting for the rain storms to stop so I can plant my bulbs!

Honored Contributor

I'm in NJ and have seen lots of little bulbs popping up.  It happens every year, just not this early.