Respected Contributor

My Snake plant is flowering...???

I kept smelling something fragrant and didn't know what is was.  But I've been noticing a shoot coming up from my snake plant, straight out of the soil.  Now it has little starry flowers on it.  I bent over to smell it, and it's the flowers!!!  Sort of a soft Jasmine scent.

I never heard of a snake plant flowering...any info on this??

Honored Contributor

Re: My Snake plant is flowering...???

Wow!! What a treat!! You must be growing it under the right conditions!! Congrats!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Wow!! What a treat!! You must be growing it under the right conditions!! Congrats!

Thanks...I'm actually quite surprised.  I had wrote in a few months ago that this plant had gnats, and I had to re-pot it.  It's a very tall plant in a heavy clay pot.  I had an awful hard time with it.  I have another snake plant, I also had to re-pot, and the clay pot shattered.  I was about to toss these things as far I could.  I really didn't think I was doing anything right.  But many suggessted I let the soil dry out between waterings...so that's all I do.  When I do water, I just give  a small amount, maybe every 10-14 days.  I can't lift them anymore, so they stay where they are.  I liked bringing them out, or putting them in the shower to flush, and mist them...but can't do that anymore.

Soo, now I'll see what I can find out about them floweringSmiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

Yes, they bloom.  I had one that bloomed also.  White small flowers.  Enjoy, because you probably not see another one.

Trusted Contributor

My mom has a snake plant, she got it when I was 20 years old...I am now 57, and it is large..and it flowers twice a year for her.

It's a lovely lemony scent.