Honored Contributor

Heart rack.:

Mousie,   Awesome photos of the deer.   Is the Girl recovered from her foray into the wild???  Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

My mind tells me they did a very bad thing by coming in your yard and letting the little girl out.

Letting the little girl out aside, I couldn't help but think how cool is that?  Bambi visited her yard, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl

My mind tells me they did a very bad thing by coming in your yard and letting the little girl out.

Letting the little girl out aside, I couldn't help but think how cool is that?  Bambi visited her yard, lol.

@Bird mama  I thought it was cool the first time, several years ago when a doe and her fawn and one other came for a week, but this time, many more.  There was one new daylily which had many buds and those were eaten along with all of the tops of my small roses, and left huge clodhopper prints in my garden, lol, and this time, it was not cool.  No deer in the yard today. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

I told DH to take the girl on a leash to the top of the property before he installed the wire barrier, to see if deer were there, and I found out last night that he took Remmy also, should not have, not on a leash, he never is until he goes to the groomer, no common sense whatsoever.  If the deer had been there, Remmy would have charged them also and loudly barked, so don't know what would have happened.  Oh well, it's calm today. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

Yea I guess I can see your point.  I get that way when too many grackles and blue jays visit the yard in the summer.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@possummink wrote:

Heart rack.:

Mousie,   Awesome photos of the deer.   Is the Girl recovered from her foray into the wild???  Cat Very Happy

@possummink  The question is have I recovered, lol.  Yesterday, DH was working on the gate and said five were on the side of the property near the garden, and I told him I knew that because I took the pups to the patch, and on the way, the girl dragged me as she knew they were there even though they couldn't be seen, and I couldn't hear them,  I swear, she could pull a sled when she is after something.

Honored Contributor

DSCF2465.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Remember my sweetpea lament last year, I mentioned that only a two colors came up in one small space, well my sweetpea trellis is covered with strong vines this Spring.  

I at first thought that they were the result of reseeding, but yesterday noticed the color of one vine's buds, and the location,. made me realize that these are what I planted a year ago, but never appeared, so guess the rain brought everything to life.  I also planted some a few months ago which is not the best time, it should be in Fall, and two of those have appeared but are very small.

So, I will have sweetpeas soon, though I won't know until they bloom what is what.  I will know if any are the two that bloomed last year. Smiley Happy

Also, yesterday, I saw what my eyes could not believe.  I climbed a hill to see, and intertwined in a large rosemary shrub was a rose I planted over twenty years ago, an Austin rose, which I havn't seen since the first year it was planted so assumed that it had died.  I am excited about this as it is a beautiful rose.  I will post pictures soon.

We have had so much rain that many rose blooms have perished, but I think more will take their place soon.

On Sunday, there were periodic showers so between them, DH planted two roses from pots, so am glad to finally get them in the ground.  

The rain also brought forth some lilac offspring, so that is also exciting as lilacs that died years ago, are now reborn, but of course it will be years before I see a bloom.  One of my potted seedlings of a deceased lilac presented two blooms this year, so now I know where to plant it.

This year, it has been made very clear in my mind where plants should go after years of planning, but still being unsure, now I am sure, and plants I thought should go one place, I now realize should go in another spot, so am finally making real progress, but still years to go. Smiley Happy.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, isn't it incredible that the plants came back?    

I have been in major cleanup mode since I returned from Florida.  The top part of the property is done.  I did the first garden on the way to the lake yesterday.  Now all I have left is one more garden on the road to the lake and the gardens at lakeside.

If you can believe it, we still have one small patch of snow left that is in a valley covering a nesting spruce.  It just doesn't want to go😧.

The only things I have up are lilies and crocus so far.  It was below freezing last night and will be again tonight.

I was reading about your yard visitors.  I have rabbits that are making the rounds in the neighborhood.  They love to eat my Allium leaves.  I have encircled most of them with wire fencing so I hope that works.  Now they will wait for the hostas to start.  They especially like a large bank of evergreens because they can hide under the evergreens and come out to munch when the coast is clear.

Some damage already done but the rest are free from damage so far.

It is so nice to see the season opening up again.  I think we are going to have a very good year for lilacs.  I am envious that you have some already.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl, isn't it incredible that the plants came back?    

I have been in major cleanup mode since I returned from Florida.  The top part of the property is done.  I did the first garden on the way to the lake yesterday.  Now all I have left is one more garden on the road to the lake and the gardens at lakeside.

If you can believe it, we still have one small patch of snow left that is in a valley covering a nesting spruce.  It just doesn't want to go😧.

The only things I have up are lilies and crocus so far.  It was below freezing last night and will be again tonight.

I was reading about your yard visitors.  I have rabbits that are making the rounds in the neighborhood.  They love to eat my Allium leaves.  I have encircled most of them with wire fencing so I hope that works.  Now they will wait for the hostas to start.  They especially like a large bank of evergreens because they can hide under the evergreens and come out to munch when the coast is clear.

Some damage already done but the rest are free from damage so far.

It is so nice to see the season opening up again.  I think we are going to have a very good year for lilacs.  I am envious that you have some already.  LM

@Lilysmom  My lilacs have been blooming for over a month, and are now done.Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Our crocosmia  (lucifers) have just started to bloom and the humming birds love them.  Anyone else have this beautiful flower?  It's a perennial.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.2maOsXHcCW_rnvHVjO0akgEsEs&w=184&h=184&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.25&pid=1.7

Image result for crocosmia lucifer  Here is a closeup

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~