Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

They've already been brought to bloom in a greenhouse.  Most people enjoy them for the season like cut flowers, then toss them when they fade and winter sets in. 

Last Fall, my sons neighbors threw 3 Mums over the hill. He brought them over and planted them in my yard. We watered and they are full of buds and ready to bloom this year.Don't throw them away, find a spot and replant them in the ground, if they don;t live, you have lost nothing but your time.

Honored Contributor

I purchased several last fall from a garden house, they were true garden mums and came back this year...the blooms are beautiful.

Respected Contributor

In the northeast where I live, it is very difficult to get mums to come back after winter-even so called "hardy mums."   I did learn that if you can get them to over winter, they like to be watered frequently. in the Spring and Summer.  Also, I cut mine back in July because if I don't, they get "leggy." 

Respected Contributor

I live in SE VA and I use mummy's in pots as decor on my porch and patio in the Fall.  When I get ready to decorate for Christmas I put the mums in the garden.  They come back each year and look great.  HTH