Respected Contributor

There is a magnolia tree in the neighborhood that still has flowers on it!  This tree has done this for the past 2-3 years - they are still blooming, scattered throughout the tree - it is a huge magnolia tree. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, that's pretty unusual isn't it?  For some reason, I am not a fan of Magnolias.  Maybe it is the mess they leave behind.  I would take a hydrangea any day.  Just me, I know.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@hoosieroriginal, that's pretty unusual isn't it?  For some reason, I am not a fan of Magnolias.  Maybe it is the mess they leave behind.  I would take a hydrangea any day.  Just me, I know.  LM

@Lilysmom - it is VERYunusual - they usually are done blooming in early spring - almost fall and here they are!  They are very pretty while they last.  I wish I could grow a hydrangea!

Honored Contributor

A neighbor has a tall deciduous magnolia and I've seen it with scattered blooms later in summer.  The show is nothing like in the spring, but it's strange nonetheless.  I haven't seen any late blooms yet this year (in PA).

Valued Contributor

Our neighbor's large pink magnolia is doing the same thing.  First time in the 20 years we have lived here.  My variegated spirea is also reblooming, also very unusual.  Must be the incredibly hot and humid summer.

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, it sounds like it is an older tree so this probably isn't the case but I wondered if it was a twice blooming one.  I have a lilac that does that.  It is called bloomerang.  Blooms in the spring and again in the fall.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@hoosieroriginal, it sounds like it is an older tree so this probably isn't the case but I wondered if it was a twice blooming one.  I have a lilac that does that.  It is called bloomerang.  Blooms in the spring and again in the fall.  LM

@Lilysmom - actually, this one has been blooming SINCE spring - it hasn't stopped.  It's really weird!  The owners say the same thing how this has only happened the last couple of years. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Lilysmom - it is VERYunusual - they usually are done blooming in early spring - almost fall and here they are!  They are very pretty while they last.  I wish I could grow a hydrangea!

This is NOT unusual-- many of the saucer shaped flowering magnolias get a secondary bloom towards the top of the tree. This happens every year on mine in late July. My variety is called Magnolia X Jane.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, isn't that interesting!  I don't think I have ever heard of that.  Does it happen in zone 5?  I have never seen a fall blooming magnolia.  There are many in our city.  Will have to keep an eye out now.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom, isn't that interesting!  I don't think I have ever heard of that.  Does it happen in zone 5?  I have never seen a fall blooming magnolia.  There are many in our city.  Will have to keep an eye out now.  LM

It's not fall blooming but mid summer blooming sporadically. The initial bloom is lush and full in spring but due to it's habit, it sets additional buds and does a sporadic bloom in late July by us in zone 7.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼