Respected Contributor

'Ketchup and Fries' Tomato and Potato plant

I saw this last year and again on HSN. It intrigues me.

Has anyone ever grown it?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'Ketchup and Fries' Tomato and Potato plant

@Melania   I've seen "pomato" plants but wouldn't consider growing one. But it looks like fun, especially for young gardners.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomato

Honored Contributor

Potatoes are a root crop.  You dig the plant up to harvest them.  Tomatoes grow on a vine.  Sounds like Frankenplant to me.  I'd stick with the originals. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Potatoes are a root crop.  You dig the plant up to harvest them.  Tomatoes grow on a vine.  Sounds like Frankenplant to me.  I'd stick with the originals. 

Both plants are part of the Nightshade plant family. So they are graftable with each other. 

Do you have a rose of Sharon with two types of different colored flowers on it? Those are 'Frankenplants' too. 

Do you eat corn? Some corn seed has been created to prevent insects or weeds from damaging them. Those are 'Frankenplants' too. 

They have their place for us to use or enjoy. 

People should stop being afraid of 'Science' and plant hybridization or gene manipulation for plants.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

I grew two of these plants last summer.  The plants grow about 5 ft tall and they did bear alot of delicious cherry tomatoes, but there wasn't one single potato to be found when we went to harvest them in the fall.  I planted each of the tomatoes in half whiskey barrels.  I was very dissaponted.

Trusted Contributor

I have never grown one, bu ****** does look interesting to me.

Just the other day, I saw a blog on Facebook about growing your own with a tomato plant on top and placing seed potatoes in the dirt in a containter. They showed harvested tomatoes and potatoes.

If I can find the blog I will post the link.