Esteemed Contributor

Is a birdbath out now because of the Zika virus?

Since mosquito season is just around the corner, they are telling people to eliminate standing water. I have  a birdbath close to my feeders and was wondering if  changing the water every morning would make it safe.

Valued Contributor

Re: Is a birdbath out now because of the Zika virus?

I wouldn't worry about it.  Mosquitoes hatch from standing stagnant water.  Changing the birdbath water daily will not be a problem.  Have a good day and have fun watching the birds!

Honored Contributor

With daily water changes you should be fine. Truthfully, the bird bath would likely run dry before a mosquito could go from being an egg to an adult. The life cycle of mosquitos is pretty complicated, but the eggs hatch within 48 hours then the larva typically molt four times before reaching adulthood. That all takes time. Mosquitos also like still water and most birdbaths are anything but still with birds constantly visiting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I also keep a "water wiggler" running in my birdbath 24/7.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Since mosquito season is just around the corner, they are telling people to eliminate standing water. I have  a birdbath close to my feeders and was wondering if  changing the water every morning would make it safe.

I wondered too about birdbaths.  If you dump the water every day, you'll be fine.  My bath is concrete and rather heavy so I change water at most once a week.  I've always put mosquito dunks in the bath to prevent larva from developing (West Nile virus is also spread by mosquitos).  But I'm concerned about perceptions in this townhome community.  A birdbath filled with water (and infrequent bird visitors) may be viewed by neighbors as irresponsible.  Another mosquito breeding ground are those plastic corrugated downspout extensions.  A lot of people have them.

Honored Contributor

I think the worry about the Zika virus is really about where you live-- the mosquito right now has been confined to mostly Central and parts of South America-- Brazil to be exact.The worry is that if a person has travelled to an affected country and catches it, it can be passed on to someone via a mosquito biting that infected person or it being passed along through sexual contact (men in particular).

Keep reading the articles the CDC are putting out for the most updated information and of course your newspapers.

Removing standing water is always a good thing and be sure to wear insect repellant and if you have a light outside your front and back doors-- use an insect light in the fixture.

Mosquito dunks are good but I'm not sure if it dissolves into the water the birds are drinking and bathing in.

Changing the water frequently helps a lot.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

If you have a birdbath or any water feature for that matter with moving water, you should not have a problem. Mosquitos like standing water, not moving water.