Respected Contributor

Is Mr. Lincoln the most fragrant rose??

I love that strong old fashioned typical rose scent. I have two bushes growing beautifully now (I live in Florida). One is florabunda and the other is grandiflora ...not sure I spelled correctly. They both have a fragrance, but one is named Barbara Streisand, a beautiful large lavendar bloom with a great fragrance. So I'm searching for an even more intense scent...I'm finding Mr. LINCOLN coming up....any others?? I prefer large blooms....appreciate any knowledge.
Honored Contributor

Re: Is Mr. Lincoln the most fragrant rose??

[ Edited ]

Look at any of the Kordes Parfuma series of roses. I also have Easy Does It and Francis Meilland -- both are fragrant to me. 

http://newflora.com/kordes-roses/parfuma-rose-collection/

ETA: Mr. Lincoln though vigorous, can get blackspot. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Look at any of the Kordes Parfuma series of roses. I also have Easy Does It and Francis Meilland -- both are fragrant to me. 

Any experience with Pope John Paul roses.?..I heard their fragrance is un-beatable.   Thanks for the link!!

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Any experience with Pope John Paul roses.?..I heard their fragrance is un-beatable.   Thanks for the link!!

Respected Contributor

Nevermind about the Pope John Paul....I didn't realize they only come in white.   I prefer pinks, and lilacs.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Perfume Delight is a hybrid tea you might want to consider also. It's been a while since I grew roses, but Mr. Lincoln and Perfume Delight were two of my favorites back then.

Back then, maybe twenty years ago, there was always a big debate over which of the red roses was best and the debate largely centered on Chrysler Imperial and Mr. Lincoln. I grew both and in my experience, Mr. Lincoln was superior, but that could have been my own personal luck with the grafted varieties. Maybe the rootstock used on Mr. Lincoln was superior in my garden to the rootstock of Chrysler Imperial, or the location better suited Mr. Lincoln.

I quit growing roses smply because you have to spray them routinely here to maintain them and I had a new neighbor who is convinced any and every chemical in the world is conspiring to kill her. Rather than have her convinced I was trying to kill her I switched over to plants that require no spraying (largely daylilies) in place of the roses. I'm not sure there is a better flower in the world than Mr.Lincoln however. It's just a gorgeous rose with a wonderful scent.

Every late winter when the garden centers start getting in their roses I get tempted to go back to a few rose bushes, but I've still got the same neighbor and I forego those plants to maintain some peace in the neighborhood. (I used to spray my roses early on Saturday mornings and I could count on her calling me later in the day to ask if I'd sprayed anything as she was feeling awful and she couldn't figure out why.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Gardenman, be selective in choosing no spray disease resistant roses to avoid doing any spraying. 

That is what I have done. I don't spray any of my roses.

Mr. Lincoln has as it's parents: Chrysler Imperial and Charles Mallerin.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Perfume Delight is a hybrid tea you might want to consider also. It's been a while since I grew roses, but Mr. Lincoln and Perfume Delight were two of my favorites back then.

Back then, maybe twenty years ago, there was always a big debate over which of the red roses was best and the debate largely centered on Chrysler Imperial and Mr. Lincoln. I grew both and in my experience, Mr. Lincoln was superior, but that could have been my own personal luck with the grafted varieties. Maybe the rootstock used on Mr. Lincoln was superior in my garden to the rootstock of Chrysler Imperial, or the location better suited Mr. Lincoln.

I quit growing roses smply because you have to spray them routinely here to maintain them and I had a new neighbor who is convinced any and every chemical in the world is conspiring to kill her. Rather than have her convinced I was trying to kill her I switched over to plants that require no spraying (largely daylilies) in place of the roses. I'm not sure there is a better flower in the world than Mr.Lincoln however. It's just a gorgeous rose with a wonderful scent.

Every late winter when the garden centers start getting in their roses I get tempted to go back to a few rose bushes, but I've still got the same neighbor and I forego those plants to maintain some peace in the neighborhood. (I used to spray my roses early on Saturday mornings and I could count on her calling me later in the day to ask if I'd sprayed anything as she was feeling awful and she couldn't figure out why.)

You sound like a verrrry nice neighbor!!  I don't think I could give up something I enjoy so much for an un-realistic neighbor.   Maybe you could treat yourself to one or two rose bushes, and plant them a bit further away??  Keep hand picking off the bad leaves, to try avoid spreading disease.  I don't know if Neem oil would bother your neighbor...maybe search around?  I heard Milk stops some diseases too.  I'm rather new at growing roses, here in Florida, so I can't offer much advice yet.  The people here seem to know lot's...maybe they'll make some suggestions.  Sure hope you STOP AND SMELL THE ROSESWoman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

You sound like a verrrry nice neighbor!!  I don't think I could give up something I enjoy so much for an un-realistic neighbor.   Maybe you could treat yourself to one or two rose bushes, and plant them a bit further away??  Keep hand picking off the bad leaves, to try avoid spreading disease.  I don't know if Neem oil would bother your neighbor...maybe search around?  I heard Milk stops some diseases too.  I'm rather new at growing roses, here in Florida, so I can't offer much advice yet.  The people here seem to know lot's...maybe they'll make some suggestions.  Sure hope you STOP AND SMELL THE ROSESWoman Very Happy

You just get to a point where it's not worth the hassle. I prefer to avoid a war with the neighbors whenever possible so I ultimately got rid of the roses. I switched from a pressurized pump type sprayer to a handheld  misting type sprayer to minimize the amount of spray I used. It took me a lot longer to spray them that way, but it didn't matter. I tried using a systemic insecticide but that had her even more freaked out that I was putting a poison into the soil. My roses were far enough apart with good enough air circulation around them that diseases weren't a huge issue, but I had so many roses (over forty for a while) that handpicking insects was nearly impossible unless I did it as a full time job. The only real way to control the insects was through spraying. Weekly spraying was very effective and gave me beautiful plants, but it freaked her out so much that I finally just gave up.

The irony is that she's deathly afraid of spiders and until he got too old, she'd send her husband out with a can of insect spray and a broom each night to walk around the house knocking down any spiderwebs he saw and spray the spiders to death. That didn't bother her.

It just wasn't a fight I felt like dealing with after a while and it was easier to switch out the plants to something that wouldn't need spraying.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Garden man, she sounds like a real character, but your right...you'll have to choose your battles. Anyway, if you ever reconsider...maybe look into what jazzmom suggested. I'd love to hear you start with maybe only two bushes...that way you can still enjoy a few roses...and keep after them without intoxicating your lovely neighbor...maybe clip a rose or two for her....yeah right!! Either way...I appreciate your knowledge...I'll be looking into the most beautiful fragrant largest blooms...tall order??