Honored Contributor

Our campsite - where we live for the summer - was previously planted with a lot of hostas - everywhere. It is a shady place , perfect for them, except a raised flower bed in the front of the site , right next to the road.Someone had previously put down that fabric people use in their garden to stop weeds then there was mulch at least 6" thick .Since there were no holes in the fabric to indicate there had ever been any flowers planted we decided to make the spot into a rock garden. Today we went and bought nice new mulch and plants. we had lifted a corner of the fabric and the soil looked like topsoil so we decided to use it as is. When we started cutting holes in the fabric to put in our plants we discovered that there were hostas growing under the fabric all over the bed - so we had to turn it all over and try to get them all out - there were literally hundreds of bulbs, plus roots and shoots everywhere. We were giving everyone in the campground hosta bulbs - i hope they all grow for them.The next door neighbor came up and told us that there were originally hostas all the way across this bed then about 5 years ago someone who was only here one season put down the fabric without removing the hostas and put dirt and mulch down but no plants.I was just looking at the price of hostas - WOW - we should have gone into the hostas bulb business! Who would just cover over beautiful plants like that - it's not like they require any care - they come up all by themselves. my Dh just threw about half a 5 gal bucket over into the woods because we couldn't give any more away. We did plant some along a fence that needed filled in - hope they grow.