Frequent Contributor

Hi!  Quick question for anyone who may be able to provide some input.  We have a rose bush that has a special meaning to us and is in its own, fairly large ovel bed in our garden.  It is in full sun and is doing very well.  We'd like to plant something of interest as a ground cover below/around it and were wondering if anyone sees any possible concerns with planting a variety of Hens & Chicks with it?  Any concerns about it "choking" the rose, etc.?  Been looking online and can't find anything sepcifically related so thought I'd check with the experts here!  Smiley Very Happy  We'd like to add a little interest to the bed, but don't want to risk the rose.  Thank you so much for any thoughts.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hens & Chicks and Roses=)

It would be lovely; my only concern is the different water requirements for each. Your rose will need a very deep soaking at least once a week in the heat of summer, but your succulents don't. 

If you were to create a watering well around the rose and then plant the succulents out at the plant's drip line (the outer edge of the foliar canopy) you should be okay. Water in the well.

The succulents will spread by roots near the surface and might need to be cut back from under the rose at some point.

I say, give it a try. Succulents don't root deeply so it's easy to remove them without impacting your rose if it doesn't seem to work.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

Another suggestion is to try some Thyme.  I have become a big fan,  It gets a gorgeous purple and when it's not in bloom it is a nice green.  Here it is around a tree stump.  It spreads easily so if you plan a couple of pockets it will take off.  You can walk on it no problem...IMG_0679 (Small).JPG

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you VERY much gardensia!  I greatly appreciate the information and ideas!!!  It helps me  to not be too afraidSmiley Wink  Hope you are having a wonderful summer!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Lilysmom!  Many thanks for everything!  OMGOSH, I LOVE the Thyme!  I also have a hill that I think it would look amazing on!  (And it's even a combination of my fave colors together  - purple and green.)    I am going to look for some!!!  Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

I love roses and succulents!  I wouldn't know what two would together.  You might want to call a rose dealer, like Jackson & Perkins ( I think that's the name).

Honored Contributor

lilysmom, I bought Roberta's white creeping thyme this year, and will be planting it between railroad tie stairs, as I think it will keep the weeds out, and look better than the large area of dirt between each stair does.

Esteemed Contributor

Mousiegirl, there is also a Thyme called 'wooly Thyme'.  It is really beautiful and has more texture than the thyme in my photo above.  

I just planted a different kind of Thyme in a tree stump a few days ago.  It looks like a head of hair on the stump.  I think it flowers white.  Can't wait to see it established and flowering!  LM

Respected Contributor

Hope this isn't too late to help.  For years I had a tall terra cotta jug with openings all around and tucked hens and chickens into them.  Kept it outside for years here in SE PA and basically did nothing but forget about it.  It sat on my open air deck for years and filled in nicely.  Perhaps you could use low pots under the rose bush or near it.  The low pots wouldn't get water damaged from the soaking for the bush.  HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill