Respected Contributor

I have some always liked the look of hens & chicks growing in strawberry pots.  I have some growing in ground and wondering if they would survive Pennsylvania winter if in a pot.  I could shelter the pot or even bring in the the garage for winter.

Honored Contributor

I like hens and chick as well and have several different pots scattered about in the back yard.  I bring the pots in when late fall hits. I keep them on the back porch..that is a 3 season room but no heat.... with a heavy towel over them...they have always survived my midwest winter.

Honored Contributor

My mom always had a rock garden with hen & chicks outside in suburban Philly.  They survived.  I got a group of succulents last year from Roberta's  The only thing that made it through the winter was one hen & chicks plant.  We can get some really cold weather but it doesn't last long.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I have some always liked the look of hens & chicks growing in strawberry pots.  I have some growing in ground and wondering if they would survive Pennsylvania winter if in a pot.  I could shelter the pot or even bring in the the garage for winter.

I have left hens & chicks in tall " strawberry " terra cotta planters out on my Pennsylvania patio for years without coverings.  They survived and grew bigger, almost covering the sides of the planter.  What's amazing:  the terra cotta planters never cracked.  I finally gave the plants away as I was downsizing my "gardening" activities.

I hope you have similar luck.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I would guess they will do fine.  More likely, the pots will eventually spall and crack.  The Latin name is "sempervirens", which literally translated, means "always living".

They're also known as "house leeks".  I think they are regarded as omens of luck in some circles.  I have a cobalt blue strawberry jar filled with them, and a low clay pan also - I'm in USDA zone 6b and they have persisted for many years (some chipping of the pots, but I just leave them in place for fear that if I move them they will completely disintegrate).  These are some of my favorite garden plants.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Thank you all for responding. I'm gonna do it.   While I wouldn't want to lose the pot, I figure what the heck, its sitting in the shed what am I saving it for.

Honored Contributor

Mine survive the winter beautifully & I live in the snow/ice belt of NY.

My terra-pot - not so much LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

FYI, Cottage Farms is featured on Zulily today and they're offering a set of hen and chicks.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thank you for asking the question and to all of you for your answers.  I think I'll do this next year.  I have a strawberry pot I don't use - too small for strawberries really.  And I'm in PA and have wondered about hens & chicks and winter weather.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

FYI, Cottage Farms is featured on Zulily today and they're offering a set of hen and chicks.

I am kind of unhappy with Zulily right now. I placed/paid for my first order with them on 9/4 and got an email today stating they didn't get the item and will keep the order open for another 30 days. Gave me the option of canceling if I wished. Not sure if I trust ordering from them again.