Valued Contributor

Help with how to winterize rose in the ground & roses in containers

Last year, we cut all the rose bushes that are planted in the ground down to around 10". We first piled peat moss around them, then a layer of mulch. Is this the correct way to do it? This year, I had some bushes grow 4-4.5' tall, and I am not sure what to do. Last year, they were a lot smaller due to first year planting.

Secondly, this summer was the first year for planting roses in large plastic containers. How should I get them ready to put in the garage? Should they be pruned, or left as they are? I plan to set the containers on wood pallets. I seem to remember someone saying that the pots should be raised up all the cold floors. After they are in there, is there a rule of thumb for watering? I don't want to loose these because I am uneducated as to how to take care of them. I have 10 plants that I really love. I remember reading this summer on this board that November is the time to put them in the garage.

Thanks to anyone who can help. (I posted this on the Houzz rose forum, but there seems to be not too much activity there, so I am not sure it will be answered).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help with how to winterize rose in the ground & roses in containers

Just go to Google and type  - winterizing roses.  You'll find information from Cornell University and many other authors.  Always go to Google when you need help - it's there and it's FREE.

Trusted Contributor

This was my experience with some Cottage Farm fireball hedge roses that I planted about 7 years ago on the south side of my home.  I did the mulching thing the first few years, then stopped.  Why?  Well, those roses grew so fast and required such little attention.  I don't even have to give them any plant food!!  They grow like gang busters and are gorgeous.  Last week, I just cut them back to about 3" from the ground.  They have a tendency in the fall to get black spot.

Those roses are rather unique, I think, so I don't recommend doing what I do/did.  Hopefully, others will give you some of their experiences.  Yes, you can always google, too, but that's what the boards are for....to find out what others' experiences are.

Respected Contributor

Amen!  It always amazes me that folks come here to ask a simple question and get 10 answers when on Google they will get 10,000, immediately!  

Honored Contributor

Important things to know:
Is the rose grafted or on its own roots? This determines survivability as to how deep those roses were planted into the ground. Grafted roses should have their graft unions below the ground to keep the union from freezing and then having the rootstock take over (Usually grafted to a gangly red rose called Dr. Huey).

2nd, since this is year 2, you really do not need to do as much mulch as you did the 1st year in the ground. Leaves piled around them at their emergence point from the soil, helps keep the stems protected from the winter drying winds. If you get ambitious, you can apply using a pump sprayer an anti-descicant called Wilt-Pruf to the stems or canes to act to protect them with a coating to keep the stems from turning brown or black come April.

3rd, containerized roses should be inside a garage or unheated basement or cool basement by now. Just check the soil monthly to see if water is needed. Depending on the size of the container, a watering can should be sufficient.

Do not feed your roses during dormancy either with fertilizers.

Come spring, bring your containerized roses out during the day into shady/sunny areas and as they acclimate, you can then bring them out in a few weeks to a sunny area. Once the roses leaf out completely be they in containers or in the ground, it is THEN that you can do the initial rose feeding.

To the person who got the landscape hedge roses, do not be timid with the hedge pruner or lopper. Landscape roses are pretty tough and as you can see, it takes a long time before they develop any blackspot-- at that point its almost winter so you really aren't outside as much to admire them.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Important things to know:
Is the rose grafted or on its own roots? This determines survivability as to how deep those roses were planted into the ground. Grafted roses should have their graft unions below the ground to keep the union from freezing and then having the rootstock take over (Usually grafted to a gangly red rose called Dr. Huey).

2nd, since this is year 2, you really do not need to do as much mulch as you did the 1st year in the ground. Leaves piled around them at their emergence point from the soil, helps keep the stems protected from the winter drying winds. If you get ambitious, you can apply using a pump sprayer an anti-descicant called Wilt-Pruf to the stems or canes to act to protect them with a coating to keep the stems from turning brown or black come April.

3rd, containerized roses should be inside a garage or unheated basement or cool basement by now. Just check the soil monthly to see if water is needed. Depending on the size of the container, a watering can should be sufficient.

Do not feed your roses during dormancy either with fertilizers.

Come spring, bring your containerized roses out during the day into shady/sunny areas and as they acclimate, you can then bring them out in a few weeks to a sunny area. Once the roses leaf out completely be they in containers or in the ground, it is THEN that you can do the initial rose feeding.

To the person who got the landscape hedge roses, do not be timid with the hedge pruner or lopper. Landscape roses are pretty tough and as you can see, it takes a long time before they develop any blackspot-- at that point its almost winter so you really aren't outside as much to admire them.

@JustJazzmom, thank you.- I was hoping you would see this. These roses are own root, I guess. Some came from Lowes, and the rest came from an online seller, Brecks, I believe. I planted them so that the bud union is a few inches below ground. Some may be planted  slightly less than that- some had large roots and I tried. I will move the container plants inside the garage tomorrow. 

Valued Contributor

@Bhvbum, Justjazzmom is an expert on roses. My question was mostly directed at her. I have found that google is great, and sometimes not so great for certain things, as you can get conflicting answers to your question. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rosehill

Just a tip-- rose mailorder companies if they have an own root rose, have to state it in their details.

If its not mentioned, then assume its grafted. If still unsure contact the company and directly ask them.

Lowe's probably has grafted for floribundas, grandifloras and hybrid teas. Most landscape roses like for example, the 'Knock Out' series are on their own roots.

Edited to add, you can usually see what a graft union looks like if you remove the soil away from the union- it looks like a bulge around the top of the bush and the root zone. Almost the way a bone looks on X ray wh

Valued Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@rosehill

Just a tip-- rose mailorder companies if they have an own root rose, have to state it in their details.

If its not mentioned, then assume its grafted. If still unsure contact the company and directly ask them.

Lowes probably has grafted for floribundas, grandifloras and hybrid teas. Most landscape roses like for example, the 'Knock Out' series are on their own roots.

@JustJazzmom, I meant to say that they were most probably not own root. I type too fast sometimes. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I've been guilty of that too! Woman Happy