Valued Contributor

Re: Help with attracting Orioles?

Carlycat~ I just checked the Cornell website and showed the photos of all the orioles to my husband. He saw an Orchard Oriole. Wow. I have never heard of them. I wish I had the time to be a real bird watcher. I love watching birds-they are fascinating.

Honored Contributor

We have HAD orioles as long as we've lived in this house (17 years) and NEVER see them. They always nest in the front f hour house and we never spend time there, and THEY NEVER come to the backyard, where I get lots of other species.

I can HEAR them but I don't SEE them.

Valued Contributor

Violan, What you are saying abou hearing them and not seeing them is true. I read the hear from people that they are very shy birds.

Honored Contributor

What do you put the grape jelly in?  A ramekin?  Or is there something special for orioles?

Respected Contributor

I put my jelly out in colored orange hanging plastic dish that I got at the hardware store. I also have a "base" with a hanger that I got a WM a few years back. It screws onto the bottle of jelly and hangs and the jelly self dispenses. I have an oriole nectar feeder too.

I am besieged this year! It is very exciting!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

We have a family of Orioles coming to our feeder, and they are eating the heck out of a songbird seed mix with fruit.   I think there are at least 6-8; adults and probably last years young ones.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@carlycat - Hi, another Kansan here.  

Just put out grape jelly and orange slices at the same time you put out your hummingbird feeders.  Build it and they will come.   We have 3 pairs of Baltimore Orioles this year and I've seen a couple Orchard orioles too.  They crowd the feeders early in the morning and late afternoon. 

They love the sweets until they've nested and lay eggs.  After orioles have a brood, they want only protein (bugs) and they will stop coming to the jelly feeders. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Things are looking up for orioles in Baltimore

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/dan-rodricks-blog/bs-md-rodricks-0529-20160528-column.html...

http://www.trbimg.com/img-574adde8/turbine/bs-bsh-md-rodricks-orioles002-jpg-20160528/750/750x422

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein