Valued Contributor

Help with attracting Orioles?

Hello bird lovers. I am hoping that someone can help me with attracting Baltimore Orioles to our area. I saw one last fall. (I assume it was a Baltimore Oriole) He was trying to get nectar out of a hummingbird feeder that I have on our glass patio doors. At the time, I got online, and read that these are highly migratory birds. As I understood the information, you may see them when they are migrating through your area, and not at other times. Last fall when I saw him, I called Tractor Supply (where I had seen oriole feeders), and they were all gone. My husband thinks he saw an oriole last week for about two days. He didn't tell me right away, so I was delayed in getting an oriole feeder out. (bought one a few days ago at Tractor Supply). I put it out immediately-it's the saucer type that holds nectar, has a central post that you spear an orange with, and little wells in the saucer to hold jelly. I have seen nothing- and it rained on it and I took it in to clean it out. Should I put it back out and keep trying? We are in NE Ohio, North Canton-which is about 60 miles south of Cleveland). Where do these orioles summer? I know they go to the tropics during the winter.

Respected Contributor

Re: Help with attracting Orioles?

Orioles are just beautiful and worth the effort of attracting them.  Keep trying.  A couple of things I have learned about them may help.  They do appear later in the season than many other birds.  Orioles are also quite shy.  You may not see them, but they may come around when you simply are not around.  They do love the grape jelly and orange slices.  There are special oriole feeders and special nectar too.   Love orioles!

Valued Contributor

I live just west of Cleveland on the lake, so very near to you.  I see Orioles in the early spring mostly.  When the seed tassels ripen on my oak trees, like right now or within the next week or so.  I believe they may feed on them too.  I also put out an oriole feeder with sugar water in it just like for the hummingbirds.  Some years I see a lot of orioles, but other years not so many.  Last year there were fewer for some reason.  So far this year I haven't seen them yet, but I'm still waiting.  Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

It sounds like you're doing everything you need to do to attract them!  For the past two years I've spotted one in our yard.  It was quick, though ~ if I wasn't near the back window the first time and outside the second time I would've missed him!  Just about an hour ago I was looking out the front window and saw my first hermit thrush of the season!  I just love birds!!!!  Best of luck ~ hope you see one soon!  :-)

Respected Contributor

I just got an 8 pack of suet and have been putting it out every day - I'm attracting all kinds of birds (don't think we have orioles in our area though).  Huge woodpeckers, blue jays, just beautiful birds.  One cake of suet lasts only about 2 days - I've become very popular with the birds!

Trusted Contributor

My orioles came on their own this year with no prompting from me (Centeral West Michigan). They started out taking over the hummingbird feeder, but now are pretty much in love with the grape jello that I put out. Hang in there.

Honored Contributor

I think orioles are fruit eaters and Droll Yankee sells a item that hangs from a tree branch and you can put a halved orange on each spike. They do live in forested areas and may have visited your garden for water sources too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=droll+yankee+oriole+feeder&client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&prmd=sivn&s...

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

I live in Kansas. The Orioles come in late April and stay all summer, but feed mostly for the first month. Mine drink out of the hummingbird feeder and empty it in 2 days! They also love grape jelly. I tried oranges but they want the jelly. I've read that once they start coming they return to the same location year after year. I've had them for about 5 years, and more each year. Go to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology website for pics and a recording. I usually hear them before I see them. They are gorgeous. Good luck! 

Valued Contributor

Thanks to all of you, for the good information. I will keep trying. The one I saw last year was so stunningly beautiful. I was sitting on the couch reading a book to my grand daughter, and it landed on a very small hummingbird feeder and was curiously trying to get to the nectar. I will check out the website to listen to their calls and read more about them.

Honored Contributor

interesting notes about what attracts orioles. we actually saw a few of them a couple of days ago in our backyard in the baltimore area. all i have out right now is mixed birdseed and a berry suet (which the squirrels really seem to love lol).

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein