Respected Contributor
My various types of tomato plants suffered and ended up stopping production. Branches died slowly from bottom up and no new growth. I was told it was from humidity or watering leaves. I never water from top but we had plenty rain. I was told I could not plant new tomatoes for a year since spores would again kill. Any suggestions? I just planted this garden new last year because this spot gets more sun. I don't want to use chemicals and keep as close to organic as possible. All suggestions appreciated.
Honored Contributor

Re: Help with Growing Tomatoes

@twins mom wrote:
My various types of tomato plants suffered and ended up stopping production. Branches died slowly from bottom up and no new growth. I was told it was from humidity or watering leaves. I never water from top but we had plenty rain. I was told I could not plant new tomatoes for a year since spores would again kill. Any suggestions? I just planted this garden new last year because this spot gets more sun. I don't want to use chemicals and keep as close to organic as possible. All suggestions appreciated.

Did they get tomato blight? Tomato blight is a windborne fungal disease similar to the Irish potato blight. Some heirloom varieties are prone to fungal diseases. Verticillium and fusarium Wilt can affect some heirloom varieties. Labels on tomato plants bought in nurseries should have notation saying V or F resistant. 

You may have to lay heavy plastic over the area to kill any spores in the soil (the heat from sun heats the soil under the plastic to kill spores.) Practice good garden sanitation by picking up fallen leaves and fallen tomatoes. You do not mention if you fertilized at least twice with an organic fertilizer or compost or added Epsom salts at the planting and midway through the season. These also help in plant health and yield. 

Fungicides are not effective on tomato plants, but choosing fungal resistant varieties are. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

What type of tomatoes did you plant?  There are two types.  The Determinate tomatoes only produce one harvest, then they stop producing and die.  They do not keep producing tomatoes all season. My neighbor used to always plant this type and he was not happy.  He would get one wonderful harvest, then his plants stopped producing while mine kept growing.

The other type, Indeterminate tomatoes will keep producing about three months or until the first frost.

All tomatoes need to be planted deep.  Their roots need to go way under the soil. If they are not planted deeply, the roots do not take up enough water and they will die.  Too much water will kill them too.

If you think this might be caused by a disease in the soil or fungus, you need to apply fungicide when you set the plants.  They won't work once the disease or fungus has already taken hold of the plant. 

If you are planting Indeterminate tomatoes, check with your local nursery for help.

Respected Contributor

So would I lay the plastic during the growing season around the plants or would I do this instead of planting or prior to planting season?  Interesting idea.  I normally get continuous crop from August to late September.  I plant Early Girl, Sweet 100, Better Boy, Celebrity, and some other variety that looks like it produces well in Midwest.  I used an organic fertilizer this year.  Prior years I have used Miracle Grow.  Tomatoes themselves did not have issues.  Just by the time it was ripe, the rest of the branches around were dying off.  Leaves had spots and then shriveled.  I worked hard to pick off dead leaves and keep floor of garden clean, but it was never-ending.

Thanks to each of you for ideas.

Honored Contributor

@twins mom wrote:

So would I lay the plastic during the growing season around the plants or would I do this instead of planting or prior to planting season?  Interesting idea.  I normally get continuous crop from August to late September.  I plant Early Girl, Sweet 100, Better Boy, Celebrity, and some other variety that looks like it produces well in Midwest.  I used an organic fertilizer this year.  Prior years I have used Miracle Grow.  Tomatoes themselves did not have issues.  Just by the time it was ripe, the rest of the branches around were dying off.  Leaves had spots and then shriveled.  I worked hard to pick off dead leaves and keep floor of garden clean, but it was never-ending.

Thanks to each of you for ideas.

You would do the plastic ahead of planting. Then probably cut X's into the plastic to plant them. 

Info from our Extension on tomato varieties : page 4 bottom of page

http://ccenassau.org/resources/vegetable-varieties-for-the-home

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

Hi @Twins Mom

I love to grow tomatoes and for the past two years my plants have been attacked by something which slowly kills them.  Like you, I spent my time picking off the affected leaves and branches, trying to keep the plants neat.  

I found a link for a very informative video on the usablight.org site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA4PuEKaQpY

This year,  I used black plastic mulch and it did seem to slow the progression.  I would recommend using it.  I also watered from the bottom and bagged and destroyed any plant refuse.  My next door neighbor had the same problem.  

If my plants are attacked, next year, I plan to use their hint and identify my problem by placing a tomato branch in a baggie with a white paper towel underneath it.  (Shown in the video.)

At at least I will know if it is a blight, a mold or a watering problem. 

I feel your pain!!!  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela