Esteemed Contributor

My dh is nearing retirement and has absolutely no hobbies to fill his time. We've been discussing his options and he decided to try and root some fruit tree seeds. They've been in the fridg in soil for several weeks and he texted me yesterday and asked me to take a look and see if they can be planted. I did and then texted him back to let him know he is going to be a daddy Smiley Wink. Four peach tree seeds and two plum tree seeds have taken. He's also taken cuttings and has those potted up. We love to help our local library with their plant sale each spring, so if he is successful in the future, he can pot up some little trees for donation,

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

Congratulations,  let us know how it goes. How did you get the pits to grow?

Esteemed Contributor

@sweetee2  He put them in the refrigerator. In peat moss (barely moistened) in a zip lock baggie. They've been in since November. He looked it up on line for how to proceed, if you want to take a gander sometime. Smiley Wink

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I have had much satisfaction from starting an avocado pit in water - with toothpicks in a sunny window - and then planting in a pot of soil.  This thing is gorgeous now.  It will probably never bear fruit because I am in VA, no CA, but I intend to keep it for as long as it thrives.  I'm hoping it will grow to the ceiling.  It goes outside in the summer.

Plants are a delightful hobby.  Gardens teach patience.  If you compost, and save resources, it costs little, except time.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia My dad, God rest his soul, knew that I loved growing avocado seeds. This was in the 80's. One day he said, come with me to the neighbors, I want to show you something. My curiosity peeked, I obliged. The neighbor had started an avocado seed and it had grown to the ceiling and them some. I was so impressed. So, there is hope for yours. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia.   My father loved to garden.  I grew up working beside him each night after supper.  As a toddler I think I ate more vegetables (and dirt) than I put in the basket to take to Mom.  As a family we canned, froze and shared our harvest.  Those lessons I learned well.  When married and we had a house of our own my husband and I began our gardens.  My son's learned to love their veggies as toddlers eating as they "worked".   They helped their grandfather and us in our gardens. These times are beautiful memories for me.  I know my sons fondly remember those days working beside their grandfather.

I agree with you.  Gardening takes patience but is well worth all the effort.  I found it very relaxing and was well rewarded when I could sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor whether it was my vegetable or flower garden.  

A co-worker started an avocado tree from a pit years ago.  As it got larger she moved it into the office entrance in front of a 20' tinted window.  It loved this location and flourished for years.  Everyone was amazed when they found out what kind of tree it was.  

Good luck with yours.  I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Esteemed Contributor

Why thank you, @Gram W!  The avocado plant is really quite pretty, isn't it?  I've been very interested to watch the pit "split", and now as the tree grows, the pit seems to be ingested by the soil in the pot.  It's sitting in front of an all glass door, though my ceilings are just average height.  I may have to snip it at some point.

I love to garden.  I bought my house because of the established gardens and the fertile woodland it contains.  The soil here is great - native, for the most part, and the trees are 100' tall.  It suits my purpose to harness Mother Nature.  And the wildlife, encouraged by habitat, just keeps the cycle going on and on.

I really appreciate your reminisces.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

And thank you, @pattypeep!  I will hold hope for this thing to grow tall.  It seems to be pretty robust at this point.  I've just started supplementing with fish and seaweed fertilizer.  Good to hear from you.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  Do you pinch it back after it reaches seven inches or so? I can't remember how  used to do it years back.

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeepYou know, I'm playing that one by ear.  Right now I have two "leaders", and when it starts dropping lower leaves I'll pinch it, I think.  The tallest stem is about 25" and the other is about 5" shorter.  I think you can play with it, to get the results you want.  That's all the fun, isn't it?!  The thing is amazingly light responsive - I turn it every day.

Cogito ergo sum