Honored Contributor

I've been hearing lots of reports of robin sightings, but a report is never as special as the real thing!

I saw about half a dozen late yesterday afternoon on a big lawn near my home. Hope they show up in my yard soon.

My goldfinches are there already!

Honored Contributor

We've had robins for quite some time now, especially with the warm February days.  One thing that was new for me.....I have several bird feeders on my deck.  I also throw some seed on the deck floor.  Last week, a robin appeared a couple times eating seed from the deck floor.  Never saw that before!

Esteemed Contributor

Their cheery song last thing at night is such a joy!  We're not quite there yet in my neck of the woods. Maybe on Saturday when we are supposed to get into the 60s.

When they are back in the area, they seem to come in droves! I hope one makes a nest on my front door wreath like before.

IMAG0072.JPG

Honored Contributor

Robins are here pretty much through the winter.  They eat the berries off my winterberry holly.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Robins are here pretty much through the winter.  They eat the berries off my winterberry holly.

I used to have some junipers that had berries and the robins would come and eat them during the warmer days of winter.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I used to have some junipers that had berries and the robins would come and eat them during the warmer days of winter.

I've read that robins don't find winterberry holly berries tasty until the berries have been through a few freeze and thaw cycles.  Which is a happy coincidence, because that doesn't happen until mid-January at the earliest so the beautiful branches are still intact at Christmas time.  

This winter had been so mild, It looked like the holly would make it all the way through with a good number of berries still on the tree.  But last week's snow and ice took care of that.  The robin was back - with so much snow, he was no doubt unable to find food elsewhere.  He picked all berries that remained!

Honored Contributor

The robins in our area (Jersey shore) never seem to vacation in the South anymore.  They've been around all winter. (and previous ones)