Esteemed Contributor

She is just so beautiful with her soft coloring! I love her beakstick (lipstick) shade! I need a shade just like that!

(Maybe I should ask in Beauty!)

Honored Contributor

I agree, so pretty,

Related image

Regular Contributor

I usually have many cardinals at my feeders..  One day I counted 8 females with one brilliant red male--maybe his harem?  They were basically the same color but all somewhat different.  Even the beaks were different hues.  There are many shades in nature that can not be duplicated by man that I'd love to have in a dress or even lipstick like you say.

Honored Contributor

When I see a male cardinal - for example, at the feeder or bath - I can usually find a female nearby.  And vice versa.  They must hang out together.  And I agree about her coloring - it's beautiful.  Like a mustard, but more buff.

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa et al, aren't they beautiful?  I just finished painting some concrete figures for the garden.  One a cardinal, one a gold finch and one a chickadee.  Can't you tell I'm just dying to get out there?  It will be another month before we can do anything.  LM

Respected Contributor

Seeing the posted picture of the cardinal couple reminded me of one of the saddest scenes.  

A female Cardinal must have flown through our maple tree and into the window behind it.  She fell to the ground.  Moments later her mate arrived and tried to revive her by moving her body with his beak...to no avail.  He kept hopping around the body and looked so forlorn.  When he flew away, we removed the body.    So sad......

Sorry if I took the post on colors off track.........

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

We have a mate pair that come to our feeders. The male is so gorgeous, especially in the sun. I believe they mate for life. A sad story indeed. We also have painted buntings during winter. The males are the most colorful of our song birds.

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz

Oh, that is so sad!

Last week when we had all the snow, it was a banner day for cardinals! I think I lost count as males & females were hanging around taking their turns at the feeder.

They are always like that, as well as other birdies -- titmice, chicadees, woodpeckers, even the blue jays -- taking turns at the feeder.

I think I got my wish about the lipstick shade. (Almost!) I just got Bobbi Brown's Calypso Coral pot rouge!

Honored Contributor

Re: Female Cardinals

[ Edited ]

We had the bird version of  Grand Central Station the day of the Blizsard at our feeders. The female cardinals look like an olive red to me and the males mostly are red. The more immature adults do not have as high a crest on their heads as older adults and in some cases sport lighter red or partial red feathers on the males. I imagine it's the same for the females but less visible due to the contrast better seen on male cardinals.

Even the goldfinches are a soft brown/yellow at this time. Males and females look pretty much the same about now and pretty soon the bright yellow feathers of the males will return soon. They also have such a sweet song, I recognize it when I am outside or if indoors with the windows open. One of my favorite songbirds.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Female Cardinals

[ Edited ]

I've spent quite a bit of time on the back porch today, and it was so nice to see so many Cardinals and Eastern Bluebirds, but they were mostly males.  Such beautiful vibrant colors!