Valued Contributor

Sad story from my state this week:

Japanese Yew shrubs

Fifty beautiful pronghorn antelopes, in search of food in this tough winter, all died after eating from Japanese Yew bushes, which are a common landscaping plant. The shrub is also fatal to many other animals, including dogs, horses, cats, and humans.

A few weeks ago, 8 elk were found dead in Boise, under similar circumstances. Strangely, white-tailed deer can eat the shrub without any ill effects.

Those who are landscaping should consider not planting this decorative shrub, especially if you have pets or children. In severe winters, many wild animals are coming down to the cities, looking for anything to eat.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have Japanese Yew?

From the time I was little I was told the berries are poisonous. 

We get a cancer fighting drug from the yew -- Taxol but this is from the Pacific yew not the Japanese yew.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Strange the yew and prong horn would even be in the same area.   Antelope like the wide open plains where they can see predators and run like the wind. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Colinka...thank you for the warning.  A very sad story.  I think most of us are aware of the typical plants that can endanger the lives of our precious wildlife/pets, but the  Japanese Yew is a new one.  Thank you for this information.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Strange the yew and prong horn would even be in the same area.   Antelope like the wide open plains where they can see predators and run like the wind. 

They are coming into the suburbs because the heavy snows make it hard to find enough to eat in the natural grazing areas.

I think the photo in the article is one of the saddest things I've seen lately.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting @Colinka to increase awarness.

Yes, the picture is heartbreaking.  Woman Sad

Valued Contributor

Sadly, there are even more deaths to report this week (2/6/17) Eight more elk died in Idaho Falls after eating the shrub.

Link:More elk deaths tied to Japanese Yew.

There have also been reported deaths in Oregon and New Mexico.