Esteemed Contributor

I am wondering what your experience has been.  Thanks.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

No way - No how here.  Our city burns trash for energy uses - heat, air conditioning, etc.  Worms have to find their own meal!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   What does that mean?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I think @Sweetbay magnolia means adding earthworms to the compost because their castings (feces) are beneficial and also help break down compostable material faster. People can buy worm castings to use as part of their organic gardening regime.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom Thank you.

Fresh Good Morning

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @pattypeep, it's also called "vermiculture" and (believe it or not) is often done indoors, in a container, with red wriggler worms that chew up household waste (even paper and coffee grounds).  As @JustJazzmom explains, yes, the worm castings are beneficial soil conditioners (people spend $$$ to buy it, bagged).

It's my understanding the wrigglers are necessary - regular earthworms will burrow and not go after any compostable material near the top of their habitat.

I'm thinking of trying it in the garage.  Just a little project, you know.

I'm sure some of you are barfing in your coffee right now! 

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia It sounds fascinating. Where do you get the red wriggler worms? I'm a huge proponent of worms in the garden and often go out after a rain and pick them up off of the driveway and put them back in the garden.

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep, I love it!  I help them along also.

I think you may be able to get wrigglers at a shop that sells them to fishermen, or you can buy them from outlets that market to the "composters" out there.

I have to do some more research.  Learn more about the ones in my garden (my lot is an Eastern Wetland).  If there were others in the area who composted this way, we could share and never have to spend a dime.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Not the specific worm composting with shreaded newspapers in a plastic lidded box..... but, yes, I do put worms into my composter.

I bought red wiggler "eggs" a few years back from some garden catalog and "planted" them in one of my borders.  Now I can't dig into that soil without finding red wigglers.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Wow, thanks @tototwo.  Sounds like you know.  I think I may have to find a species that could digest scraps indoors in a cold garage, and then be able to survive outdoors if I have an abundance.

Gardeners know it is all about the soil!

Cogito ergo sum