Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Order Plants From TV?

@tsavorite  I buy the majoirty of plants from online companies from all over, and here, and they all arrive in great condition, but  If any don't, I receive a refund or replacement.

As soon as they arrive, I take them to the deck and let them sit under the roof until they aclimate, then I plant them in pots until they become a good size for planting in the ground.

Esteemed Contributor

@tsavorite-- I received my Little Miss Dynamite roses yesterday.  Don't know why CF packed them in such a huge box - they had been bounced around quite a bit during shipping.  Both roses were covered with buds already (which I cut off so the plant can concentrate on the roots for now).  I planted them in my big porch pots, fresh soil, then added a little Root Blast to the planting holes.  Both look healthy and ready to take off, so we'll see................ 

My hibiscus haven't shipped yet.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I usually buy local but wanted to try QVC's plants and ordered Rebeccas calibrachoa.  They arrived in a 6-pack, thirsty but not dead.  Watered right away and planted next day.  They probably could not have taken another shipping day.  They were quite pot bound which I was not pleased to see.  3 are in the ground, 3 in pots.  They have been very slow to get going but doing ok, some blooms but still quite small after a month or so.  I believe they will do fine, just need time.

Anyone else order these?

Esteemed Contributor

@tsavorite I prefer to support our local vendors. One time, though, I did order some ever bearing strawberries from a garden site. They did beautifully. I love getting things locally, so I can come home, plant and receive instant joy.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I tried it, got burned not only on the initial tubers but also on their replacement tubers. I had ordered Roberta's Over the Top dahlias. I had grown regular dinner plate dahlias before. These were pretty colors so I order 2 sets. Nothing about them is quality. They did replace the tubers, with even worse tubers then the first! Have not ordered from Roberta's again and won't ever. Better to purchase locally.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@tsavorite-- I received my Little Miss Dynamite roses yesterday.  Don't know why CF packed them in such a huge box - they had been bounced around quite a bit during shipping.  Both roses were covered with buds already (which I cut off so the plant can concentrate on the roots for now).  I planted them in my big porch pots, fresh soil, then added a little Root Blast to the planting holes.  Both look healthy and ready to take off, so we'll see................ 

My hibiscus haven't shipped yet.

@tototwo  I would have left the buds on, it would do fine. Smiley Happy  I have so many Cottage Farms roses, mini, groundcover and regular, all are beautiful and thriving.

Trusted Contributor

My Little Miss Dynamites are blooming like crazy.  One had buds out of the box, the

other one was green & healthy, but took a couple of weeks to get blooms.

I received my hibiscus yesterday.  Hope they turn into something beautiful.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I've purchased plants from QVC over the past 3 years, but will never buy again from them.  

I only purchased plants that they stated would come up year, after year, after year!   None of them have made it past the first year except for the lilies.  You can buy those at any store, so why bother getting them from QVC.  They are so sad looking when they arrive at your home.  You can buy beautiful plants from your local stores.

I refuse to watch any of the plant shows as I do not want to be tempted by their sales talk.

Unfortunately I've been soooooo disappointed!

Esteemed Contributor

Never fear, @mousiegirl - I now have 4 new buds on each of those Little Miss Dynamites!  They are practically exploding with new growth.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt