Honored Contributor

Click for Options

Just one of my many crepe myrtles in my yard.  Some are late blooming this year, don't know if it is because of all the rain we have had!

Honored Contributor
I've noticed that mine hasn't bloomed yet either, but it should pop out any day now. My favorite for summer.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Ours are suffering this year after a colder than usual snap last winter and a wilting, killing heat so far this summer.  Looks like the blooming season isn't gonig to be good.  We have tomato plants that are now literally cooked - leaves browned and no fruit at all.  And we are losing our huge fig bush, which breaks my heart.  Only about 1/3 of the leaves this year and almost no fruit.  Sad!!! Our weather this summeer is truly wicked.

Honored Contributor

hooty your link is not working if you were showing us the myrtles.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

In NJ our Crepe Myrtles are just starting to bloom. I've notice (around town) a lot of Crepe Myrtle did not survive the winter. This is only the second year for ours, and all of them made it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Crepe Myrtles

[ Edited ]

@lulu2

Crepe myrtles are one of the last trees to leaf out in the NE and can get branch die back due to our extremely cold winters.

Some crepe myrtles hybridized by the US National Arboretum are able to survive in Hardiness zones 7/6 but IMO, I would still use protection for them if possible (the shrub ones most likely) with burlap wrap and leaves inside the burlap.

US National Arboretum cultivars

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Ours are suffering this year after a colder than usual snap last winter and a wilting, killing heat so far this summer.  Looks like the blooming season isn't gonig to be good.  We have tomato plants that are now literally cooked - leaves browned and no fruit at all.  And we are losing our huge fig bush, which breaks my heart.  Only about 1/3 of the leaves this year and almost no fruit.  Sad!!! Our weather this summeer is truly wicked.

I have my fig trees are in half shade/half sun, and they have tons of figs.  I truly believe that almost every plant, rose, etc., loves some shade, and not to be in the blazing sun constantly, though roses do need more sun to prevent disease.

Honored Contributor

Re: Crepe Myrtles

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

***Really, because it is showing on my page!  Sorry if it is not showing, it is a watermelon red color!

I live in the South, these trees are hardy and need no protection in the winter!

Click for Options   Is  this showing?

Honored Contributor

Still not showing. Smiley Sad

Yes, the South has lovely ones that don't need winter protection and I like the watermelon pink colored ones too.

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

***Really, because it is showing on my page!  Sorry if it is not showing, it is a watermelon red color!

I live in the South, these trees are hardy and need no protection in the winter!

Click for Options   Is  this showing?

Hooty, do you know that you can't copy and past your own photos, you have to go through your desktop and load them here.