Super Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms. Silk/Fake flowers shown for presentations

I did see and hear the presentation on the pink and blue hydrangeas, and Phillip did say that this is a representation of what the plants will look like. He also mentioned several times about several different plants, that they will look like this in the second/third year, etc. Many years ago, I ordered hydrangeas from Cottage Farms. I was sent a double order in error. QVC customer service told me that they do not accept returns on live plants, and to enjoy the gift. I planted all 8 of them in my yard, and yes, over the years some have died, but I still have 3 that are going strong. One of the bushes even rooted a smaller plant, which we transplanted into my son & DIL's garden, and it is doing well. I have a feeling that some people do not read the directions that are shipped with the plants, as to where to plant, how to care for, etc. I do not consider myself an expert gardener, and have had failures with Cottage Farms and Roberta's plants, but both are very good at replacing them or substituting a different plant, if things don't go well.

Honored Contributor

@WSfan What happened to your hydrangea making another plant is called layering. It's very easy to do with a soft stem held near the ground with a rock or brick and then time.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

For all the reviews I read here, I cannot understand why it's not emphasized that it takes about 3 years for most plants to be as described on TV. 

The first year, not much happens because the plant is setting down roots; 

consider yourself very lucky if you see a bloom. 

In year two, the plant has set enough roots and gone through a winter and acclimated to it's new home; it may even put some blooms out. By year three, the plant is truly comfortable and now it will start putting blooms as described.

It's very possible that Cottage Farms doesn't have 3 year specimens for TV presentation so they may have to add a few blooms to show us what a 3 year specimen should look like. 

I do think that if they are using faux blooms it should be mentioned or maybe use a disclaimer across the bottom of the screen. 

I agree JustJazzmom,

Once in awhile you will hear Phillip say that these are a "representation" of what you plant will look like...I have never heard Roberta's claim this. You will also notice that when they are using these "representational" blooms..they don't do as many close up shots as they do on the real flowers.

Now, if you are a gardener, you know that these plants/blooms are not real, even with a hot house. I have noticed that the plants are real, but the blooms are not.

I buy locally. I have been burned in the past with both of these companies, and do not order from them. I can get larger, more profuse plants locally for the same price or lower............yes, even at those dreaded big box stores. I am lucky though, I have three great greenhouses very close to where I live, plus a great farmers market that has several out of town growers on weekends.

Please buy local, you are supporting a family, instead of a corporation.

Honored Contributor

@RedHeadedWench

What she said-- buy locally and if there is a plant you DO LOVE-- get the correct name from the details part of the webpage here and do a search as to where to buy either on the net or locally. Many local nurseries are doing or have finished their spring orders from various growers so call them now & ask to speak to the buyer to see if the plant you love will be available locally.

Know your hardiness zone, so when ordering from the net you purchase from an Internet company in a similar zone. 

Use GardenWatchdog website to see what other gardeners think of ithe company selling an item before ordering from them.

1. Avoid companies that 'make up' new names for various plants instead of using the Botanical Latin names. I shy away from those companies but give them credit for originality! Woman LOL

Buy local or buy from reputable Internet companies. Look at the Watchdog 30 from the Website I mentioned above.

Happy gardening.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

For all the reviews I read here, I cannot understand why it's not emphasized that it takes about 3 years for most plants to be as described on TV. 

The first year, not much happens because the plant is setting down roots; 

consider yourself very lucky if you see a bloom. 

In year two, the plant has set enough roots and gone through a winter and acclimated to it's new home; it may even put some blooms out. By year three, the plant is truly comfortable and now it will start putting blooms as described.

It's very possible that Cottage Farms doesn't have 3 year specimens for TV presentation so they may have to add a few blooms to show us what a 3 year specimen should look like. 

I do think that if they are using faux blooms it should be mentioned or maybe use a disclaimer across the bottom of the screen. 

@JustJazzmom  I heard Philip say that it takes four years for the Hibiscus trees to reach the size that were on the set.  I don't understand how anyone could think that a tree could grow to that size the first year.  

Honored Contributor

It takes time for plants to grow to maturity.  Though the plants I bought many places last year grew and bloomed, they will be twice the size this year.  I am a patient gardener because that is what is required.

Sure one can go to the local garden center, and I do, but I also buy online, and one can get a mature plant, but the cost is high for being impatient, but to each his own.  There won't be such deals in any garden center.

No way could I walk into a garden center and get a mat of three hundred succulents, and if I could, I shudder to think of what it would cost.  These grow so quickly and multiply like crazy.

Also, I am wondering if people fertilize.  In order to have flowers, one must fertilize regularly to get the maximum result.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

Plants grown locally and bought locally always are a better bet.  This takes into account what REALLY grows in your area.  I too have been taken.  Never again.   

@bonnielu  The item description states what zones the plants will do well in, so there is no mystery.  I tried to get one plant here recently, but was rejected due to my zone, though I  am sure it would grow here.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

It takes time for plants to grow to maturity.  Though the plants I bought many places last year grew and bloomed, they will be twice the size this year.  I am a patient gardener because that is what is required.

Sure one can go to the local garden center, and I do, but I also buy online, and one can get a mature plant, but the cost is high for being impatient, but to each his own.  There won't be such deals in any garden center.

No way could I walk into a garden center and get a mat of three hundred succulents, and if I could, I shudder to think of what it would cost.  These grow so quickly and multiply like crazy.

Also, I am wondering if people fertilize.  In order to have flowers, one must fertilize regularly to get the maximum result.

Yes, I agree gardening is about patience and thinking what the plants will look like when reaching maturity. Will the plant be good for the area I have placed it? Is there enough room for it to reach maturity or will I have to prune it every year for it to 'fit'?

Another problem is the kind of fertilizer you use; some fertilizers are designed to create foliage (hi nitrogen --first number listed on a bag or bottle) and some are designed to create blooms and buds ( hi potassium 2nd number on that bag or bottle).

Look closely at the fertilizers here offered and study those numbers listed.

1st year you may want a higher nitrogen so it sets out roots and foliage, 2nd year you may want one with higher potassium for blooms.

I prefer a balanced fertilizer maybe 10-10-10 or 5-5-5.

Some liquid fertilizers are short acting like certain Miracle Gros and some are longer acting like the pelletized Espoma products which are organic.

I prefer longer acting and applied in the springtime.

That sedum mat might need starter fertilizer to get it going and once it establishes use the longer acting fertilizer once a year.

Honored Contributor

If the plants arrive looking healthy, then it is up to the gardener to keep them that way.  If they arrive looking half dead, give them a chance and if they don't recover, get a replacement or refund from Q.

Regarding the sedum, I bought the mat last year and having transplanted the tiny plants they are now a large size, and I will be transplanting again to get more of them.  I bought the new mat this year because there were new varieities, and will be planting them in five growing trays so they will multiply within a few months.  Gardening takes effort, and I like the process, but I realize some do not.

Honored Contributor

Those Roberta's guys are worse than snake oil salesmen the way they exaggerate and stretch the truth.  I don't trust a thing they say.  Much of what they sell are exotic species from South Africa or Tanzania that the average grower would never be able to or have the conditions to keep it alive.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment