Occasional Contributor

Cottage Farms. Silk/Fake flowers shown for presentations

I just turned on the TV and Phillip Watson is presenting Razzle Dazzle Hibiscus. I have NEVER EVER seen more fake Silk/paper blooms attached to a plant to encourage customers to purchase. The same with the daylilies. It happens a lot on Roberta's segments too. And there is no disclaimer. While they do show photos of the actual flowers in a real summertime garden setting ever so briefly, the QVC presentations with the artificial blooms in NO way resemble anything natural. I can't believe anyone would be convinced these blooms on the QVC set are actually real. And the use of Florist purchased rose blooms stuck in bushes is over the top.

I have been there and done that several years ago with Cottage Farms. Puny plants and poor performance. Buy from your local nursery or Big Box store where you can see a real bloom and health of the plant.

Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms. Silk/Fake flowers shown for presentations

How is everyone enjoying the fake, fabric blooms on the plants today?  Occasionally, they note that they are "representations".  Especially for the TSV sedum, how many people for the 64 thousand purchased realize that ALL the blooms on set are separate, plastic/fabric flowers that the QVC staff have stuck into the real sedum plants to make them appear to be blooming so well and in so many different colors?  I responded to several of the Q&A questions (novice gardeners don't know how to grow this or even what conditions they have at their homes) and the QVC staff have ERASED several of them.  They did NOT violate the conditions in any way.  I reviewed the qualfications for Q&A and it is supposed to be a community Q&A.  Oh well, good luck to those who have purchased.

Respected Contributor

@Carolinaking wrote:

How is everyone enjoying the fake, fabric blooms on the plants today?  Occasionally, they note that they are "representations".  Especially for the TSV sedum, how many people for the 64 thousand purchased realize that ALL the blooms on set are separate, plastic/fabric flowers that the QVC staff have stuck into the real sedum plants to make them appear to be blooming so well and in so many different colors?  I responded to several of the Q&A questions (novice gardeners don't know how to grow this or even what conditions they have at their homes) and the QVC staff have ERASED several of them.  They did NOT violate the conditions in any way.  I reviewed the qualfications for Q&A and it is supposed to be a community Q&A.  Oh well, good luck to those who have purchased.

This is awful.  You just saved me a lot of money Carol, thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Both of these vendors have been doing this for years, which has saved me a lot of money. I understand why they do it, this is not the time of year that these plants bloom naturally...we know that, so they use the closest silk flowers they can get I guess to simulate what these blooms will eventually look like.

I rarely buy from either one of these vendors because I have had very bad results from both.

Esteemed Contributor

Plants grown locally and bought locally always are a better bet.  This takes into account what REALLY grows in your area.  I too have been taken.  Never again.   

Honored Contributor

I've thought that before too - the plants shown on Q look fake.  But there's no way to know for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought some of these last year and I won't be fooled into buying them this year.......the plants I bought locally always were double the size and half the price.

I feel the presentations are very deceptive....

Honored Contributor

Those of you who stated that the flower vendors are displaying the plants on air with fake blooms but claiming the are real, are likely leaving yourselves open to suit for libel by both QVC and the vendors.

The plants are grown in greenhouses, which means the growers can manipulate the growth by means of lighting, fertilizing, and so on. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.

i have bought these flowers and they grow beautiful for me year after year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For all the reviews I read here, I cannot understand why it's not emphasized that it takes about 3 years for most plants to be as described on TV. 

The first year, not much happens because the plant is setting down roots; 

consider yourself very lucky if you see a bloom. 

In year two, the plant has set enough roots and gone through a winter and acclimated to it's new home; it may even put some blooms out. By year three, the plant is truly comfortable and now it will start putting blooms as described.

It's very possible that Cottage Farms doesn't have 3 year specimens for TV presentation so they may have to add a few blooms to show us what a 3 year specimen should look like. 

I do think that if they are using faux blooms it should be mentioned or maybe use a disclaimer across the bottom of the screen. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼