Valued Contributor

Did anyone here buy one of the bonsais last month or two. I did, the leaves are turning yellow now. I have let it sit outside for un and afriad it got too much water, but I can not tell due to the rock like covering. Any tips are welcome.

Honored Contributor

My first guess would be that your plant sat in a dark warehouse, then a dark semi truck, then an artifically lit store, then you took it home and put it where it got some sun and it got sunburned.  There are other possibilities too, overwatering being one of them.  Does the pot have a drain hole?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A real bonsai is very, very hard to overwater unless you leave it sitting in water. Real bonsai have very small root masses with almost no soil. They're grown almost like epiphytes. The pro bonsai grower will often water their trees several times a day, often using automated watering systems. You're far more likely to be under-watering than overwatering a true bonsai.

Bonsai is both an art form and a form of torture to a plant. It's impressive that you can take a plant that would naturally grow twenty, thirty, forty feet or more tall and force it down to a size of a foot or so, but if the plant had any say in the matter, it would be screaming. To achieve the art of bonsai really requires torturing a plant. You hack off most of the roots, severely limit its growth, force the branches to grow in an unnatural manner by wiring/pinning them in place, limit the nutrition available, and never let it do what it would naturally do.

In human terms it would be like taking an infant, give it just enough nourishment to stay alive, but stunted. Break it's arms and legs and cast them in unnatural positions for artistic effect, perhaps cutting off parts that grow too long. Keep it confined in a very small space,and only give it food and water in small amounts and just enough to keep it alive. You'd end up with a small, contorted adult eventually, but it wouldn't be fun for the victim, just as bonsai isn't fun for the plant.

In recent years there have been studies done that find plant to plant communication is a real thing. Plants communicate using volatile organic compounds (VOC's)  among other things that are emitted by a stressed plant to signal trouble to similar nearby plants. I've wondered if putting a bonsai version of a plant in with a normal group of the same plants would alter the growth pattern of the normal plants. My best guess would be that it would. Bonsai plants must be screaming bloody murder in their language over what's being done to them. We're just lucky we don't understand/hear their language. Plants that understood the language would likely be affected in some manner. Would their growth be stunted or accelerated though? I'm not sure of the answer to that, you could make an argument for both.

The good news is if you don't want the plant as a bonsai, you can simply pot it up in a real pot, remove any wiring holding the branches in place and let it grow naturally. It takes a lot of effort to force a plant into a bonsai and while it's an impressive art form for the viewer, I'm thinking it's no fun at all for the plant.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Like gardenman said, it's almost impossible to overwater a properly-potted bonsai.  Does the pot have drainage holes?  I water outdoor bonsai once a day; indoor bonsai twice a week.  I presume the plant is in proper potting medium.

I'll also second gardenman's suggestion that you may have introduced it to full sun too quickly.  Many years ago, I almost killed a dwarf cherry that way.  Most of its leaves burned and fell off.  It (and any plant, really, that hasn't been in the sun) needs to be introduced gradually.

Honored Contributor

Have you ever been to Longwood Gardens in the West Chester area?  They have a display of Bonsai that are as much as 400 years old.  Beautiful little trees.

@gardenman  You nearly broke my heart with your description of the trees screaming.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Have you ever been to Longwood Gardens in the West Chester area?  They have a display of Bonsai that are as much as 400 years old.  Beautiful little trees.

@gardenman  You nearly broke my heart with your description of the trees screaming.

Everything at Longwood is amazing, but the bonsai are especially impressive.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!