Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr, if I could get up on that rock, I would love to plant some sedum. It is a great idea but the rock is way too tall.  I am pretty sure 20' is a conservative estimate, probably more like 25-30.  After just recovering from a broken foot, I am loath to do that😩.  LM

Contributor

Daylillies might work to stem erosion at the base, too. Not sure, though. I agree with others that the rock provides nice visual interest. Rocks belong in Nature, so it might be good to get comfy with them. If you look at Japanese gardens, they build their garden scape around rocks and stones. This rock is your friend. You have done a wonderful job softening its environment. Love your other features, too. Happy gardening.

Esteemed Contributor

@stets, do you think lilies could survive in such a wet location?  The irises that thrive here came from a wetland area and love the water.  

I do love the rocks.  They are a major part of our landscape. I am not trying to hide them but trying to staunch the rapid flow of water in heavy rains.  That is why I want something that will climb the rock.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@stets, do you think lilies could survive in such a wet location?  The irises that thrive here came from a wetland area and love the water.  

I do love the rocks.  They are a major part of our landscape. I am not trying to hide them but trying to staunch the rapid flow of water in heavy rains.  That is why I want something that will climb the rock.  LM

You may have to see how wet the soil gets or remains after any rains. I like the using adapted to wet soil plants so maybe googling wetland type plants might expand your choices.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  I wonder if these "groundcover roses" that Phillip presented today would work.  They're hardy through zone 4.  Phillip said they send out runners; I don't know if that's above ground or below, or if they'd climb onto something.  They'd certainly trail over the rock, if you wanted them to.

M26370 Groundcover Roses

It would be nice to know the actual name of this rose; I doubt "groundcover rose" is it.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr, I really like those.  Love the yellow color although if I was looking for strong contrast the purple is probably better.  I am in Canada so I will probably visit a nursery where I know the nurseryman.  He is very good with indigenous plants.  

@JustJazzmom, the ground in front of the rock is very wet but the ground on either side is dry.  I put wild Irises in the wet spot and they are thriving.  I put a climbing hydrangea on one side and it is beginning it's climb up a trellis.  Eventually, I am hoping it will eventually find the rock.  I have some fine netting to help it climb.  I would like to put a climbing rose on the other side.  LM

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Lilysmom  I wonder if these "groundcover roses" that Phillip presented today would work.  They're hardy through zone 4.  Phillip said they send out runners; I don't know if that's above ground or below, or if they'd climb onto something.  They'd certainly trail over the rock, if you wanted them to.

M26370 Groundcover Roses

It would be nice to know the actual name of this rose; I doubt "groundcover rose" is it.

@ValuSkr  @Lilysmom  I have these roses in lavender, and they root in the ground, only one foot high, so unless your rock is small, and I think you are speaking of the enormouse rock you have, Smiley Happy, these roses would not do the trick.

Honored Contributor

I just read the fine print on both the golden & lavender and these are mini or miniature roses. Sending out runners? I think he meant the canes or stems are long. And if so, you can peg the canes along the ground so you get blooms on the canes.

Honored Contributor

He did say they "send out runners."  Strange for roses, I thought.  That's why I wish Q would give the actual plant names, so we can look them up online.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

He did say they "send out runners."  Strange for roses, I thought.  That's why I wish Q would give the actual plant names, so we can look them up online.

Runners can be interpreted in 2 ways -- above or below ground. I think of them as both depending on the plant. Runners underground for strawberries/invasive bamboo. Runners above ground for groundcover or low landscape roses.