Honored Contributor

Re: COTTAGE FARMS TONIGHT 9-10PM PST, 12-1AM EST

@AuntG wrote:

With all the garden centers in American, why do people buy off TV?

@AuntG  Because there are plants that one can't find in local garden centers, and/or for the prices offered online.  I buy the majority of plants on line, though do use my local center for trees and shrubs as I usually buy large, and because I love strolling through the center.

Trusted Contributor

Phillip looks great! He had such a tough spring, it was scary to watch him be so ill. Thank goodness he is up and running again!

The TSV is a hmmmm.... for me.

They doubled the price from the last 2 years by adding the hens and chicks.

I wish they had a choice, like they do with laptops Smiley Happy

Either "just the Sedum" for XXXX amount of $$. OR "Sedum with hens and chicks" for the TSV price.

I have the Sedum from 2 years, I really want to fill in more spots, but I don't want the Hens and Chicks.

A choice would have been good.

Honored Contributor

I love to watch Phillip and he is so full of good information.

Unfortunally, , I've have never had luck with any plants purchased on QVC from Cottage Farms or Roberto's . However., the plants I have purchased from my local garden center are thriving...even the ones I bought at Walmart.

I'll watch, but I am not buying.  I've lost too much money over the years.

Trusted Contributor

Me too. I am going to watch the shows because Phillip is so informative, but I don't really need anything this year.

I can already see the prices have jumped. The hibiscus was not $62.00 last year. (the braided stem one). I got mine for $49.00 2 years ago.

I have a rosh bush, I have no idea what kind, it was ONE dollar on a table in Walmart. It was sickly, so I got it for the challenge of seeing if I could get it to grow.

I have to say, that bush just will not die! I ignore it, I don't water it. I have dug it up twice now because it got so big and leggy, haha, and that crazy thing grew right back again! The flowers look like roses, but I am not even sure.

One dollar Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I think one of the reasons the prices seem higher this year is they're including shipping in the price.  Where as in seasons past, they've charged for shipping, then did special price shipping on the plants and now shipping is included.

I always enjoy watching Phillip because I also learn so much from him.  I must admit I really wasn't excited to see Rick doing the TSV with him.  However, Rick made it so fun.  His amazement over the size of the plants being shipped and what they would look like at the end of the season was refreshing and made me smile.  When it came time for the Plow & Hearth show, I wasn't planning to stay up for it but I'm so happy I did.  He has made me giggle at his amazement over a Gecko, the birdhouse with the little watering can, the colors of the glass birds, the lights in the gazing ball and then when the Suffolk sheep and lambs came on....oh my goodness, he was just too cute.    I love Rick as a host.  Sometimes his ADD can be a bit too much for me, but I have always loved watching him.  I would have never expected to see him in a gardening show but in my personal opinion, he really, really did well.  He kicked off the day with excitement and he was enchanting with amazement at everything he presented.

Not sure if that will make sense to anyone else and I'm sure there are those that won't agree with me.  Doesn't matter.  I LOVED HIM TONIGHT!

I LIVE MY LIFE. I don't dwell on the criticisms of those who don't understand me.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BrattyOne2 , I totally agree with your positive viewpoint of Rick Dolmeier as a host. His exuberance can be an acquired taste, and it took a couple of years for me to see past that in Rick's ability as a host.  I say with all sincerity that in the many years Rick has now been hosting, he is one of the very few host I find delivers a most concise presentation of the products. Upon receiving and using (wearing) any product I have orderd due to seeing it presented in one of Rick's shows, I have never felt there was any misleading or deceptive information given.  This spans the categories he hosts: electronics, home goods, garden, tools, kitchen/food, and jewelry. Woman Happy

Frequent Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@BrattyOne2 , I totally agree with your positive viewpoint of Rick Dolmeier as a host. His exuberance can be an acquired taste, and it take a couple of yearsfor me to see past that in Rick's ability as a host.  I say with all sincerity that in the many years Rick has now been hosting he is one of the very few host I find delivers a most concise presentation of the products. Upon receiving and using (wearing) any product I have orderd due to seeing it presented in one of Rick's shows, I have never felt there was any misleading or deceptive information given.  This spans the categories he hosts: electronics, home goods, garden, tools, kitchen/food, and jewelry. Woman Happy

@Trix

I couldn't agree more.  Rick is definitely one of my favorite hosts and I don't watch QVC a lot.  I do know if there's a TSV I'm interested in getting, I more than likely will order during his presentation.  This was my first time seeing him in a gardening show other than for Sun Joe.   Rick and Antonella are my favorite when it comes to jewelry presentations.  Rick and Albany (before she left) for electronics.  Rick for home, kitchen and food.  I always feel like I'm getting honest answers and he really knows the products he's presenting.  He seems to really be able to connect with the viewers.  I'm in my early 20's and for him to be able to get me interested in a presentation says a lot.  I don't purchase that many items from the Q but like to have it on for background noise when I'm studying at night.  Which typically makes Rick on quite often for me.  I also love how much he adores his Mother, Phyllis.  Such a sweet relationship.

Have an amazing week.  Hope you got some great items today.  I ended up purchasing the set of Sufflolk sheep and the set of the lambs during Rick's presentation for my niece to put in her yard.  We were in Ireland last Summer and she fell in love with the sheep and lambs.  Got a birdhouse during his presentation too....figure it would be very low maintence for me.  I'll probably hit up some local nurseries in Northern California if I decided to do any planting.

I LIVE MY LIFE. I don't dwell on the criticisms of those who don't understand me.
Esteemed Contributor

@BrattyOne2 , my only purchase was a new fireman's hose nozzle.  It's an item I've passed on for several years, but new nozzles and sprinklers are on my 2017 garden shopping list, so it's about time I try it. The bright colors for this nozzle earn extra points with me because I begin my watering in the dark of predawn.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Dazlin wrote:

I just checked to see what roses he has.    Gosh, was he sick..can anyone share on his health?  I always enjoyed watching him...very informative.

@Dazlin  Philip had open heart surgery during the summer, and as he said on Carolyn's show, almost checked out.  I watched the video, and was so glad he is back and looks as good as ever. Smiley Happy

Wow, so surprised to hear this..he always looked soooo physically fit.  I hope he continues on path of good health!!    Thanks for for sharing.

Honored Contributor

@BrattyOne2 wrote:

I think one of the reasons the prices seem higher this year is they're including shipping in the price.  Where as in seasons past, they've charged for shipping, then did special price shipping on the plants and now shipping is included.

I always enjoy watching Phillip because I also learn so much from him.  I must admit I really wasn't excited to see Rick doing the TSV with him.  However, Rick made it so fun.  His amazement over the size of the plants being shipped and what they would look like at the end of the season was refreshing and made me smile.  When it came time for the Plow & Hearth show, I wasn't planning to stay up for it but I'm so happy I did.  He has made me giggle at his amazement over a Gecko, the birdhouse with the little watering can, the colors of the glass birds, the lights in the gazing ball and then when the Suffolk sheep and lambs came on....oh my goodness, he was just too cute.    I love Rick as a host.  Sometimes his ADD can be a bit too much for me, but I have always loved watching him.  I would have never expected to see him in a gardening show but in my personal opinion, he really, really did well.  He kicked off the day with excitement and he was enchanting with amazement at everything he presented.

Not sure if that will make sense to anyone else and I'm sure there are those that won't agree with me.  Doesn't matter.  I LOVED HIM TONIGHT!

@BrattyOne2   Rick is in gardening shows every year, and with Philip, and he always acts amazed.